Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Marcel Stor <ma...@frightanic.com> on 2004/02/09 07:51:23 UTC

[Repost] Tomcat logging

Hello

I've just switched from TC4 to 5.0.18. I'm still in the process of
picking up all the features.

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/deployer-howto.html#Cont
ext descriptors

explains the new context descriptors. I still don't quite get it. It
says "...which would normally be found in the main server configuration
file...". Well, does this mean I can (have to?) remove all my context
descriptions from server.xml and place them into individual files? Or do
I need both? Or??

What really concerns me:
Each of my contexts has a FileLogger and a AccessLogValve defined.
Hoever, at startup only the valve log is created. With TC4 each
context's FileLogger log was created and contained entries saying that
the context had successfully been loaded etc. Why is the log not created
anymore?
Also, one app uses the standard Java logging framework. All the log
entries end up in catalina.out instead of the app's own context log. How
to resolve this?

Regards,
Marcel

Re: [Repost] Tomcat logging

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.
On 02/09/2004 07:51 AM Marcel Stor wrote:
> explains the new context descriptors. I still don't quite get it. It
> says "...which would normally be found in the main server configuration
> file...". Well, does this mean I can (have to?) remove all my context
> descriptions from server.xml and place them into individual files? Or do
> I need both? Or??

You only ever have one context description per app, and it can be in
server.xml or in a seperate file.

> What really concerns me:
> Each of my contexts has a FileLogger and a AccessLogValve defined.
> Hoever, at startup only the valve log is created. With TC4 each
> context's FileLogger log was created and contained entries saying that
> the context had successfully been loaded etc. Why is the log not created
> anymore?
> Also, one app uses the standard Java logging framework. All the log
> entries end up in catalina.out instead of the app's own context log. How
> to resolve this?

What are you using to log? The java.utils.logging framework will log to
anywhere you define in its configuration. By default, as a file
java0.log in the tomcat user's home directory.

I'm not sure what tomcat does with its FileLoggers and catalina.out.

Adam

--
struts 1.1 + tomcat 5.0.16 + java 1.4.2
Linux 2.4.20 Debian