Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> on 2018/04/07 14:22:25 UTC

Modified Apache License is not the license?

I came across this:

https://github.com/dgraph-io/dgraph/blob/master/LICENSE.md

which it is Apache Licensed with an additional restriction of "no resale".

How does that stand? Surely it's not licensed under AL2 and some of the
wording is not communicating that clearly.  e.g. A copied phrase

     Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License")

isn't true any more.

IMO They should change the wording to something like

"Licensed under a modified form of the Apache License"

(sort of a "powered by the Apache License")

They recently changed from AGPL3.

(This isn't about using that license, I don't want to incorporate the
code in any form into an Apache project).

Redirected from trademarks@

     Andy

Re: Modified Apache License is not the license?

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
Not only that, but because it is modified, it's not even an OSI
approved license anymore.

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andy,

> On Apr 7, 2018, at 7:22 AM, Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> I came across this:
>
> https://github.com/dgraph-io/dgraph/blob/master/LICENSE.md
>
> which it is Apache Licensed with an additional restriction of "no resale".
>
> How does that stand? Surely it's not licensed under AL2 and some of the wording is not communicating that clearly.  e.g. A copied phrase
>
>    Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License")
>
> isn't true any more.
>
> IMO They should change the wording to something like
>
> "Licensed under a modified form of the Apache License"
>
> (sort of a "powered by the Apache License")
>
> They recently changed from AGPL3.
>
> (This isn't about using that license, I don't want to incorporate the code in any form into an Apache project).

It is not any of our business unless an Apache project wants to use it as a dependency. At that time, if the license is still as it is, we would designate it as a Category X project.

Craig

> Redirected from trademarks@
>
>    Andy

Craig L Russell
Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
clr@apache.org http://db.apache.org/jdo

Re: Modified Apache License is not the license?

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
I filed an issue with the project to suggest clarification of their license
text.

Not much we can do or want to do beyond that.