Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Jonathan Pierce <Jo...@seagram.com> on 2001/08/17 19:07:48 UTC

Re[2]: why - jaxp.jar two places in Tomcat4.0b7 dist

Thanks, I see it now in the notes.

Another build question -

There are javax classes referenced by Catalina classes in the dist build that
are not included. This could lead to class not found errors for users who
reference the catalina classes without adding them to the /lib directory.
Shouldn't versions of these be included in the dist?

These include the following and maybe a few more:
jmx-1_0_1-ri
jsse1.0.2

Subject:    Re: why - jaxp.jar two places in Tomcat4.0b7 dist
Author: tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Date:       8/17/2001 9:50 AM

On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Jonathan Pierce wrote:

> Two copies of the jaxp.jar file are in the 4.0b7 dist. Shouldn't they be moved
> in /common/lib/ so that only one copy exists in the class path?
>
> /jasper/jaxp.jar
> /server/lib/jaxp.jar

See the RELEASE-NOTES-4.0-B7.txt (or whatever for your version) for more
details, but moving the parser into /common/lib is the right answer *only*
if you want internal Catalina classes and *all* web apps to use the same
parser.  The current organization allows web apps to use something
different (such as Xerces) without messing up Catalina.

Craig

Re: Re[2]: why - jaxp.jar two places in Tomcat4.0b7 dist

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Jonathan Pierce wrote:

> Thanks, I see it now in the notes.
>
> Another build question -
>
> There are javax classes referenced by Catalina classes in the dist build that
> are not included. This could lead to class not found errors for users who
> reference the catalina classes without adding them to the /lib directory.
> Shouldn't versions of these be included in the dist?

We include everything that we can.  But we've got to obey license
agreements too.

> These include the following and maybe a few more:
> jmx-1_0_1-ri
> jsse1.0.2

Both of these have redistribution restrictions.  The JMX one is pretty
silly IMHO, and is being worked internally at Sun.  The JSSE restriction
is based on the US laws regarding export of cryptographic software.  Yes,
it's less restrictive than before, but the mechanics of legal distribution
are still pretty onerous (both on Apache, and on individual downloaders).

Craig