Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by David Welton <da...@apache.org> on 2006/08/29 12:02:57 UTC

iCLA's?

Hi,

I'm more or less getting back on track after my (very nice:-) vacation
in Oregon.  It was cool to be able to meet David Jones and Leon in
Portland, by the way.

I wanted to ask after the status of the iCLA's - there was just one
outstanding, if I recall correctly.  Is that still the case?

--
David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
 - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: iCLA's?

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On 9/2/06, David Welton <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip />

> Aside from that, though, we should be in pretty good shape.  Yoav, any comments?

Two comments: first, +1 to everything, it looks good now that I've
inspected it.  Second, did I unsubscribe myself from ofbiz-dev
accidentally?  I hadn't gotten any OFBiz-related emails in a few
weeks, come to think of it.  I'll send a re-subscribe request...

Yoav

Re: iCLA's?

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hola,
What you're proposing is a good process.  See comments inline with the
way we usually do it at the ASF, at least in the projects I've worked
on.  Feel free to incorporate or disregard these practices.

On 9/2/06, David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com> wrote:
<snip />
> When we do a final release we'll want to do a branch, but I'm not
> sure if we want to do that for release candidates at this point
> (unless there is something being developed we want to keep out of the
> release... ?).

You typically tag (not branch) for non-final releases: RCs, alphas,
betas, etc.  For a final release, you tag at a minimum, and you branch
if the dev team expects significant code evolution,
backwards-incompatible changes in the next release, or other major
stuff.  Remember that you can always branch off a tag at any point in
time, there's no rush to do so at the time of release.

> 1. svn export (either trunk for early RC, or the release branch for a
> release or later or more isolated RC)

Always always cut the release from its SVN tag.  This is essential to
reproducing the same build in the future after changes have occurred
in the trunk and/or branch.  Whether you want to do an svn export or
normal checkout is up to you, though usually normal checkout is just
fine.

> 2. for a framework only build: remove the applications directory
> 3. ant run-install

OK, but it would be worth having two separate distro-creatign targets,
one full and one that just ignores the applications directory.  That
way users can just run ant to create the distro without needing to
manually modify the directory tree.

> 4. zip/tgz and PGP sign

Also remember to generate and MD5 or SHA-1 checksum of each distro.

> 5. post somewhere for download - perhaps on the wiki until it's
> official or something?

Before they're official, you have a choice of places.  The wiki, the
release manager's public_html, a dev.apache.org tree I think.

> 6. send request for review to Incubator PMC

Vote among the OFBiz people first, then ask the Incubator PMC for a
review and include the OFBiz vote results.

> 7. add links to it on the Apache OFBiz (should we start using
> AOFBiz?) web site and incubation status page
>
> On #5: for the incubator I guess this is different from the main ASF
> download mirrors and would just go on the web site server or
> something? If it goes on the web site I guess we should add it to the
> site directory in SVN, perhaps in a releases sub-directory or
> something, and then just update on the people.apache.org server and
> off it goes...

For unofficial releases (i.e. ones not vetted by the OFBiz and
Incubator PMCs), see above.  You can stick it in SVN if you'd like,
but that's not required as it should be trivial to rebuild any release
from its SVN tag.

For official releases, after the proper voting you put the release
files (including PGP and checksums of course) in
/www/www.apache.org/dist/[project name]/[version], which gets mirrored
worldwide automatically.

> Looking at these the next step is to figure out what we need to do
> for PGP signing. If I understand it right one of the individuals on
> the PMC would just use their personal key to sign the release. Is
> that correct?

It's possible.  It's also possible for the release manager to generate
a special key just for signing ASF releases.  Whatever key is used, it
should be uploaded to public keyservers like pgp.mit.edu, and should
be present in the KEYS file in the root SVN directory for OFBiz, as
well as included in the release distributions.  It's important for
everyone, but especially the release manager, to read
http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/SigningReleases.

> If this person needs to be in the web of trust and that
> needs to be done face to face with an ASF member that is already in,
> then perhaps Jacopo would be the best candidate for this as he can
> somewhat easily meet with David Welton. Does that sound reasonable?
> Then Jacopo could just sign this first release.

That's fine and reasonable.

> There are some other things we should probably do, like release notes
> and testing and such. We used to spend quite a bit of time doing
> those early on which is one reason we stopped doing releases so much:
> it got to the point where it took a few days to a couple of man-weeks
> just to go through and prepare everything. There has been quite a lot
> of testing and fixing going on recently, and we can refer to Si's
> blog and the Jira tracker in a fairly short and simple release note.

In the long-term, I would hope we can automate much of the testing via
JUnit or whatever tool we want.  Then the ant dist target would run
those tests, and the distros would not be created until all the tests
pass.

> Does this sound reasonable?

Yup, +1, let's do it.

Yoav

Re: iCLA's?

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.
As for all steps I think there is a little bit more, but I'm not sure
what it looks like after a certain point, ie signing and posting the
release according to the ASF process, and of course learning that is
part of the point of the release candidate (RC).

When we do a final release we'll want to do a branch, but I'm not
sure if we want to do that for release candidates at this point
(unless there is something being developed we want to keep out of the
release... ?).

Anyway, the full release process I think would look something like this:

[...]

that correct? If this person needs to be in the web of trust and that
needs to be done face to face with an ASF member that is already in,
then perhaps Jacopo would be the best candidate for this as he can
somewhat easily meet with David Welton. Does that sound reasonable?
Then Jacopo could just sign this first release.

There are some other things we should probably do, like release notes
and testing and such. We used to spend quite a bit of time doing
those early on which is one reason we stopped doing releases so much:
it got to the point where it took a few days to a couple of man-weeks
just to go through and prepare everything. There has been quite a lot
of testing and fixing going on recently, and we can refer to Si's
blog and the Jira tracker in a fairly short and simple release note.

Does this sound reasonable?

-David

Re: iCLA's?

Posted by David Welton <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: iCLA's?

Posted by Marco Libero <mr...@libero.it>.
Grandioso Jacopo !!!,

this is a very great news!
thanks for this big and important job.

Marco

Re: iCLA's?

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
David, all,

this is a great news! Thanks.

Re: iCLA's?

Posted by David Welton <da...@gmail.com>.
About 12 hours ago:

Re: iCLA's?

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.
Yes, that is still the case. Some others at Brainfood pitched to help
get Adam's iCLA signed and sent over but the ASF fax machine wasn't
working at the time so they sent it by mail.

After a few weeks it looks like it still hasn't been received, so
yesterday I sent a message to Jim J. to see if he had any feedback
for us...