Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Simon Rowland <sr...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/11 20:51:42 UTC

dos newlines in configure script

Hi,

Just a quick note that the /configure file has dos newlines in it and needs
to be converted to unix format before it can be invoked on cygwin. I was
just wondering if dos newlines are chosen intentionally or whether it would
be possible to convert the file to unix format next time anyone updates it?

In case anyone is seeing the same problem but hasn't pinned it to newlines
yet, dos newlines cause the following output as the shell parses the script
into surprising chunks!

$ ./configure
: command not found2:
./configure: line 22: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
./configure: line 22: `  case `(set -o) 2>/dev/null` in *posix*) set -o
posix;;
'sac

And to save you looking it up: [ <CTRL-x> <RET>f unix<RET> ] converts it in
emacs!

Thanks, Simon

Re: dos newlines in configure script

Posted by Simon Rowland <sr...@gmail.com>.
On 1/11/07, Alberto Massari <am...@datadirect.com> wrote:

> Hi Simon,
>
> At 19.55 11/01/2007 +0000, Simon Rowland wrote:
> >Just had a thought: Is there a cheeky cygwin / bash config hack I
> >should be using instead of converting the file?
>
> I guess it's because I have installed Cygwin specifying the option of
> keeping the DOS line feed for text files, while you picked the Unix
> style

I now have that option checked too and its working great - thanks again!

(btw, it shouldn't be a problem for the rest of the world, as
> the file is marked inside SVN as having the 'native' EOL).
> How did you retrieve the files from SVN? Using a Windows tool or a
> Cygwin one? Maybe that is the cause of the mismatch.

I used eclipse on Windows to do the original check out. Probably introduced
the newlines then. I didn't know about the native eol thing - thats a handy
feature.

Alberto

Thanks again for the help, Simon

Re: dos newlines in configure script

Posted by Alberto Massari <am...@datadirect.com>.
Hi Simon,

At 19.55 11/01/2007 +0000, Simon Rowland wrote:
>Just had a thought: Is there a cheeky cygwin / bash config hack I
>should be using instead of converting the file?

I guess it's because I have installed Cygwin specifying the option of
keeping the DOS line feed for text files, while you picked the Unix
style (btw, it shouldn't be a problem for the rest of the world, as

Posted by Simon Rowland <sr...@gmail.com>.