Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl> on 2015/02/04 10:08:17 UTC

[Installer - FLEX-34251] Is SSK needed for load installer config? (was: "Re: sdk 4.14.0 100% install failures")

Please continue discussion on this issue in this thread.

Thanks,

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: [Installer - FLEX-34251] Is SSK needed for load installer config?

Posted by Paul Hastings <pa...@gmail.com>.
On 2/4/2015 10:30 PM, Tom Chiverton wrote:

> TLS 1.x is fast becoming mandatory for SSL connections. This page
> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/kaushal/archive/2011/10/02/support-for-ssl-tls-protocols-on-windows.aspx
> has a chart showing TLS support by O/S, and indicates Windows 7 should
> support it, I assume by default.

while it may support those options, they aren't turned on by default.

if you take a look at the image "Supported SSL protocols under “Advanced” tab of
IE 9 on Windows 7" from that article you'll what i saw when i "fixed" this. 1.1
& 1.2 were turned off.

Re: [Installer - FLEX-34251] Is SSK needed for load installer config?

Posted by Paul Hastings <pa...@gmail.com>.
On 2/5/2015 4:53 PM, Tom Chiverton wrote:
> If people's Windows settings are incompatible with modern web sites

people as in "people who don't normally use IE". chrome reaches the config file
site just fine (ditto for firefox). as justin pointed out most developers aren't
big fans of IE, so this probably isn't that rare a case.

> (against Microsoft advice) then they will encounter more and more
> problems with time.

not if they don't use IE.

> I still think we should just document it, and suggest checking the
> settings when we get failures on Windows, and as a plan B look at the

just documenting this would be a fine solution as well.

Re: [Installer - FLEX-34251] Is SSK needed for load installer config?

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.
On 04/02/15 17:38, Erik de Bruin wrote:
> Only if you think a man-in-the-middle attack that hijacks both the
> download and the MD5 request is more likely than the bad guys having
> backdoor access to the servers actually hosting those files. And given
> the fact that those servers reside in the US and that Snowden's main
> revelation wasn't about a foreign power having access to nearly every
> bit in the US, I say we don't worry too much about it;-)
If people's Windows settings are incompatible with modern web sites
(against Microsoft advice) then they will encounter more and more
problems with time.
We just happen to be seeing some fall out.

I still think we should just document it, and suggest checking the
settings when we get failures on Windows, and as a plan B look at the
AS3-native HTTPS implementation that doesn't use the underlying O/S.

I wont veto any change to HTTP though; life is too short and I'm out
numbered,
Tom

Re: [Installer - FLEX-34251] Is SSK needed for load installer config?

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
On 2/4/15, 9:14 AM, "OmPrakash Muppirala" <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Feb 4, 2015 9:03 AM, "Alex Harui" <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:
>>
>> In another thread, I think Tom C says we should be using https to
>>deliver
>> all of our bits, which we aren’t today.  What do folks think?
>
>-1.  We are already doing MD5 checks on downloaded artifacts.  I am not
>sure what benefit https is going to add here.

It looks like we currently pull our MD5 files over https.  So changing to
pull the installer config files  over http probably just means folks will
get stuck on the MD5 fetch.  Does changing the MD5 download to HTTP make
it unsecure?

-Alex

Re: [Installer - FLEX-34251] Is SSK needed for load installer config?

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 4, 2015 9:03 AM, "Alex Harui" <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

> In another thread, I think Tom C says we should be using https to deliver
> all of our bits, which we aren’t today.  What do folks think?

-1.  We are already doing MD5 checks on downloaded artifacts.  I am not
sure what benefit https is going to add here.

Thanks,
Om

Re: TLF additions documentation?

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.
Here's a Table Explorer, http://pastebin.com/Uzxz2ep6 I've used. The API
has changed slightly since I used it and you are likely to encounter bugs
(possibly real / possibly incorrect usage). I can send you the exported
project as well as this is missing some icons. Just email me and I'll send
it to you.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jason,

Posted by Jason Taylor <ja...@dedoose.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Very weird.  This time when I hit the link I ended up at

https://code.google.com/p/as3httpclient/

Which does show BSD, but last time I ended up at

https://code.google.com/p/as3httpclientlib/

Which shows MIT.  I guess there is more than one version of AS3 Native
HTTP.  Whoever works on it can pick one or the other as long as the
LICENSE is updated correctly.

-Alex

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by piotrz <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Om, Alex,

So can we just use this library ? Any license objections ? Or it is too big
and better write our own logic ?

Om,

This is right link, because I see couple of links in google:
https://code.google.com/p/as3httpclient/

Piotr

-----
Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com
--
View this message in context: http://apache-flex-development.2333347.n4.nabble.com/Installer-FLEX-34251-Is-SSK-needed-for-load-installer-config-was-Re-sdk-4-14-0-100-install-failures-tp44913p44955.html

Re: [Installer - FLEX-34251] Is SSK needed for load installer config?

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 2/4/15, 6:12 PM, "OmPrakash Muppirala" <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Feb 4, 2015 5:33 PM, "Alex Harui" <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:
>>
>> Sounds reasonable.
>>
>> The AIR downloading code via URLLoader just seems sensitive.  Do we know
>> if we use AIR sockets and build our own http download protocol on top if
>> it will bypass the IE libraries underneath?
>
>Yes, it will.  I use the as3httpclient in my projects and it should work
>fine and bypass any browser based settings.

Any volunteers to try this out? It would be a big deal if it made a
noticeable dent in the number of failed installs.

-Alex

Re: [Installer - FLEX-34251] Is SSK needed for load installer config?

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
I'd recommend against using the client to bypass the windows settings.  If
we do, the we need to expose properties like Proxy Settings, and need to
deal with locations that disallow large TCP window sizes (for example,
users on AT&T DSL have to force their TCP Window size to 1440 instead of
1500 which is the OS default).  We would need to package in an ANE to read
the registry settings for these settings if we plan on doing the download
raw.

-Nick

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Sounds reasonable.

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Neil Madsen <li...@cranialinteractive.com>.
I just tried it out with v3.2 installer by changing the only place that
actually calls an https other than one call to goog closure for FlexJS and I
didn't get any errors during the install.

I did see in the log file and Charles a couple other https urls.
>From the log
	Downloading 2.2.zip from:
https://github.com/swfobject/swfobject/archive
>From Charles
	https://github.com:443
	https://codeload.github.com:443
	https://fonts.googleapis.com:443
	https://fonts.gstatic.com:443

The quick fix is to change line 50 in 'MD5CompareUtil.as' from
public static const MD5_DOMAIN:String = "https://www.apache.org/dist/";
public static const MD5_DOMAIN:String = "http://www.apache.org/dist/";

This is definitely the easiest fix to apply if no one else has any problems
with installing.
Maybe the people that were having issues before could give that a try and
let us know if that does indeed fix the issue.

Neil

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
However, we do need to verify that hitting HTTP doesn't cause too many
redirects (possibly to HTTPS), as I seem to remember that redirects
sometimes cause trouble for AIR and not to mention that we'd be back
to square one if that would happen...

EdB

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
FWIW, when I tried to implement a socket server for Flash, I ran into more issues than with URLLoader. Although, I don’t remember any details.

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
I've got it refactored on my own local branch, but it's a big enough change
I might submit it separately.  I hate to say it, but working on this really
makes my head hurt.

I've got the as3httpdlib working on my local copy.  I need a bit to clean
it up -- should have it ready this evening or tomorrow.

-Nick

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 2/6/15, 2:56 PM, "Nicholas Kwiatkowski" <ni...@spoon.as> wrote:

>I have some time to implement the as3httpdlib this weekend if that is the
>direction we want to go.

Sounds good to me, go for it!

-Alex

Re: [Installer - FLEX-34251] Is SSK needed for load installer config?

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
Ok.  Digging into this a bit more, the only time we will ever use HTTPS is
during the Installer Config download and the MD5s.

No reason why we need to be tunneling the Installer Config through HTTPS.
All it contains is localization strings for the current version.  MD5 paths
(and all paths, really) are stored on the Apache DIST server, and is pulled
down via HTTP.

MD5s are actually pulled down using HTTPS, again at the Apache DIST
server.  This is valuable to protect via HTTPS.

None of the Apache mirrors are serving files via HTTPS (if they are, they
aren't telling Apache about it -- or Apache isn't cataloging it).

Since nothing larger than 4k is being transferred over https, we don't have
to worry about using a raw https session that screws with TCP Window sizes
(essentially, if you try to create TCP packets too large in one shot, you
will get fragments, which causes major overhead and can cause the
download/upload speed to decrease by 60%).  The proxy thing would still
need to be addressed -- but those are becoming more and more rare.  No idea
how many people still use a proxy server, but they would be affected by
this unless we offer a configuration option for it.

On a side note -- if we are really worried about Man-In-The-Middle attacks,
the two things we should be protecting are the initial configuration
download (http://flex.apache.org/installer/sdk-installer-config-4.0.xml)
and the MD5s.  Everything else is checked via checksums, so we are safe
there.  We currently don't pull the sdk-installer-config-4.0.xml file off
HTTPS, and maybe we should.  I'd vote for dropping
/dist/flex/4.14.0/binaries/apache-flex-sdk-installer-config.xml from being
pulled over https.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
I’m going to try to see if I can capture where we are:

At least one person got stuck because AIR on Windows uses IE/OS settings
that needed tweaking otherwise it blocked an HTTPS download.  Yet of the
list of common failures, many others failed after getting past at least
two HTTPS downloads.

We have several votes to not use https at all.  There is still a chance
that now or someday, some download that first attempts http will fail or
be redirected to https.

We have an option to replace URLLoader with an AS3 native HTTP
implementation.  AIUI, there is a chance that will just solve everything
and we won’t need to care about HTTP vs HTTPS any more.  Can someone
confirm?

A new idea that popped into my head is having a checkbox in the Installer
where you can select to use HTTPS.  Is that practical?  IMO, we’d default
to HTTP and folks who are concerned would opt in to HTTPS.

Posted by Kessler CTR Mark J <ma...@usmc.mil>.
+1 to http vs https.

-Mark

> Another question for you guys, since I don’t have any expertise in this
> area, would we in fact skirt around this by hitting http for more of our
> downloads instead of https?

+1 to hitting http by default.

Thanks,
Om

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 4, 2015 8:09 AM, "Alex Harui" <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

> Another question for you guys, since I don’t have any expertise in this
> area, would we in fact skirt around this by hitting http for more of our
> downloads instead of https?

+1 to hitting http by default.

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
Yes.  This is purely an SSL issue in regards to new TLS certificates (other
cyptro methods were proven to be weak, so many sites/browsers aren't
supporting them anymore).

-Nick

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Paul Hastings <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Installer - FLEX-34251] Is SSK needed for load installer config? (was: "Re: sdk 4.14.0 100% install failures")

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Hi Paul,

Thanks for finding that.

I wonder if on Windows, the Installer should pop an alert when finding a
download error and suggest that folks use Internet Explorer to hit the
failing download.

Thoughts?
-Alex

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.
The IE 'internet options' are actually the Windows internet options,
it's a left over from when IE was illegally tied to Windows.

The question is what are the default settings there - if the defaults
are for those options to be on we don't need to worry ?

Tom