Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Daniel Nilsson <da...@home.se> on 1999/09/11 09:55:58 UTC

general/4997: Netscape browsers looping on authentication when using alias names

>Number:         4997
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       Netscape browsers looping on authentication when using alias names
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Release:        1.3.3
>Environment:
Sun Solaris 2.6

I have the same problem, but have additional information.
If I go to "http://myhost:80" and authenticate and after that to
"http://myhost/" then the browser goes into a spin.
I have traced the problem and it seems that the browser gets confused
when 2 hosts have the same "AuthName".
I modified the Apache 1.3.9 code a bit and changed the "AuthName" to be
a random number each request, this seems to remove the problem with the
browser... But I dont know how to fix it "for real". (The IIS servers
supply the current hostname or alias you go to, in their "AuthName",
thats why it works with IIS...)