Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Shmuel Krakower <sh...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/30 20:08:44 UTC

Question regarding NTLM

Hello everybody,
This is my first message here.

I am load testing an IIS application which using NTLM to authenticate.
I am using the latest - 2.5 JMeter and trying to use the HTTP Authorization
Manager.

Firstly - it seems like only with HttpClient3.1 Implemented HTTP Request the
NTLM string is being sent (I can see it on the view results tree for the
relevant request).
When using the new HttpClient4 or the old Jave implementation - this NTLM
Authorization string is not being sent or not being visible on the view
results tree.

Secondly - I configure as best as I understand the Base URL, the Username
and Password, also tried to play with the Realm and Domain but I keep on
getting 401 error.
I tried different combination like username = domain\uname, uname@domain,
uname and on Realm and Domain separately and so on.

Is there someone who actually succeed on authenticate with IIS NTLM ?

Best Regards,
Shmuel Krakower.

Re: Question regarding NTLM

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 31 August 2011 20:40, Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>According to their web page they added multiple user support back in 2007.
> I only see " The code was refactored to facilitate future support of
> multiple profiles and other planned extensions." - not that it actually
> supports , and their config doesnt seem to indicate otherwise. Without
> multiple users there isn't really a load test.

And even if the proxy did support mulitple users, the load test would
test the proxy+server.
If there are performance problems it could be difficult to determine
if the proxy is to blame rather than the server.

Re: Question regarding NTLM

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.

Re: Question regarding NTLM

Re: Question regarding NTLM

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
doesnt cntlm support just a single username/password?

Re: Question regarding NTLM

Re: Question regarding NTLM

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 30 August 2011 19:23, Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi
> seems there are some issues with HttpClient4 and NTLM
> http://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-client-ga/ntlm.html.
>
> You might give the sample code a try and see if it works (standalone) , and
> if it does you might need to modify the Jmeter code to work with HttpClient4

The HC4 sampler in JMeter might well need tweaking to work properly
with NTLM; patches welcome (via Bugzilla).

It's rather difficult to test the NTLM implementation - as far as I
know there are no publicly accessible servers which support NTLM
authentication.

If you know of one - or even a semi-public one that could be used by
selected developers only - please let us know.

As far as I know, the Java implementation only supports NTLM on Windows.
I don't know if it supports anything other than NTLMv1.
The HC3 implementation only supports NTLMv1

Re: Question regarding NTLM

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
hi