Posted to user@beam.apache.org by Valentyn Tymofieiev <va...@google.com> on 2019/11/06 22:55:37 UTC

Call for Feedback on Beam on Python 3.

Hello, Beam user@ community,

As you may be aware, Beam has signed a pledge to discontinue support of
Python 2 in new releases at some point in 2020 [1].

To ensure a smooth and stress-free adoption of Beam on Python 3, I would
like to encourage Beam Python 2 users to try out Beam on Python 3.

So far the feedback I have received from users, who switched their
pipelines to Python 3, is that transitioning to Python 3 was easy and there
were no hard blockers.

There are occasional reports, such as [2], where Beam users encounter
issues in some versions of Python 3, and we have an ongoing effort[3] to
improve Python 3 user experience. We therefore need your feedback to help
us understand and better prioritize remaining issues. Beam Python 3 support
became available this year, admittedly quite late, and it is possible that
your pipeline will uncover an issue we have not seen before. For everyone's
benefit we would much rather want to find out about such issues now than
later, when Python 2 support goes away. Therefore, I once again encourage
Beam Python 2 users to give Python 3 a try, and looking forward to your
feedback (see [3]).

Thanks,
Valentyn

[1] https://python3statement.org/