Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@joda.org> on 2013/06/01 00:58:24 UTC

Re: Site plugin woes

On 31 May 2013 20:30, Curtis Rueden <ct...@wisc.edu> wrote:
> You seem like a very smart guy, but your mails come off very negatively.
> Have you heard of the "praise sandwich"?

That requires there to be something to praise. Every time I've used
maven over the last 8 years or so it has disappointed me. My views had
been improving, yet once again I find that even the core plugins like
this one are unreliable and impossible to setup without trial and
error, hacks and workarounds. My cries of pain are merely what I'm
sure many others go through every day.

It looks like separate aggregator and parent projects simply don't
work with the site plugin. But it would be good for someone to accept
that is the case.

> But it is a complex system that is developed by an OSS community

Partly. But also backed by a company, Sonatype, with enough staff to
have 5 C level executives. Perhaps they need to invest a little more
in fixing their underlying technology?

> As for why the site plugin sucks so much, ... the site plugin is mainly
> intended to document Maven plugins....

If thats true, then the website should have a big sign on it saying DO
NOT USE. However, and entire chapter in the maven book suggests
otherwise http://books.sonatype.com/mvnref-book/reference/site-generation-sect-intro.html

Finally, I could have stayed silent, or merely ranted more on twitter.
I took the time to log each problem I faced in enough detail for
someone to look at, and would answer more questions if desired.
Ignoring such feedback, even if unpleasant, isn't healthy.

Stephen

Re: Site plugin woes

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@joda.org>.
To summarize for any future thread readers...

Right now, the site plugin, and its related report plugins, are highly
unlikely to work reliably for any non-standard project layout (and I
personally haven't tried a layout that does work).

If you have just one extra layer between your parent/aggregator and
your children, then the project-info plugin breaks.
https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MPIR-279

If you have an aggregator at the root and a child below, then the site
plugin breaks.
https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MSITE-691
It also clobbers the target directory when using site:stage
(Was reported under http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MSITE-690, but a
JIRA bug has created two issues with the same id MSITE-690)

The topSiteURL parameter mentioned below had no effect in fixing site:stage.

The Javadoc plugin runs the validate and generate-sources phases when
it shoudn't slowing down (and potentially generating incorrect) docs.
https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MJAVADOC-369

The Javadoc plugin has performance/invocation problems meaning that it
takes longer and longer the more modules you have as it keeps on
repeating the same tasks.
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MJAVADOC-171 (or similar)

Figuring out a suitable set of configuration to generate aggregate
reports in the aggregate location and leaf reports in the leaf
location is hard, as the documentation is weak. While some plugins
just seem to work (checkstyle), others do not. Configuring the report
sets to avoid the undesired test-jxr and test-javadoc causes the
aggregates to stop working.

The reporting plugins generate incomplete HTML files that have to be
processed by the site plugin before they are readable (to handle ${}
interpolations and css). Yet, there is no way to run that site plugin
processing without running the rest of the broken site tasks. The site
plugin needs a new goal.
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MSITE-690

I ended up replacing the index.html and site.xml to avoid the broken
links from MPIR-279 and MSITE-691. I then generated only the aggregate
level docs, producing nothing at the child level, avoiding some of the
slow performance.

While some of my emails may appear negative, it is my opinion that
site and reporting in Maven is not currently suitable for general use.
thanks
Stephen

Re: Site plugin woes

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@joda.org>.

Re: Site plugin woes

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
yes, I worked recently on this exact issue: site *staging* on complex cases
like yours, which is not as usual as you expect
It took me a good number of hours with the issue reporter to understand what
he was doing, what he was expecting that wasn't trivial, and I found a
solution with this topSiteURL

But you're right, the option is still under-documented: yes, it's done on my
free time
And your last comment on the issue is interesting : yes, adding a sanity check
when the stage goal writes outside target/staging would help a lot
Please open a new issue on this: I'll work on it, because such good ideas are
the ones that help make things better, step by step, idea after idea

Notice: don't blame Sonatype for everything about Maven, because Maven =
Apache Maven (with its PMC to blame if you want), which contains more than
what Sonatype really supports.
And even if the line between what Sonatype supports or not is not always
clear, AFAIK maven-site-plugin is exactly one part that is not supported by
Sonatype

I hope we'll continue good work and improvements thgough this Jira issue about
sanity check, and other ideas that will happen after that

Regards,

Hervé

Re: Site plugin woes

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@joda.org>.