Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Daniel Quinlan <qu...@pathname.com> on 2004/06/03 23:21:58 UTC

when R-T-C is optional

felicity@apache.org writes:

> Author: felicity
> Date: Thu Jun  3 12:19:51 2004
> New Revision: 20793
>
> Modified:
>    incubator/spamassassin/trunk/t/bayessql.t
> Log:
> bug 3465: typo in bayessql test got my() repeated warnings

This is simple, but it technically needed prior review, so I'll use this
bug as a good point to post about this -- been discussing it a bit on
IRC/AIM and also talked with Ken Coar (the incubator chair) a bit on
#apache.  Basically, I think it would help if we articulate which
changes need R-T-C and which don't.

R-T-C optional:
  - documentation
  - finishing off pre-existing T_ tests
  - non-controversial non-semantic style changes (fixing indentation,
    adding comments, but not actual code)
  - very simple, non-controversial, and absolutely safe bug fixes (I
    think this check-in is a good example, but any more would need a
    review)

R-T-C required:
  - everything else

--
Daniel Quinlan
http://www.pathname.com/~quinlan/

Re: when R-T-C is optional

Posted by "Malte S. Stretz" <ms...@gmx.net>.
On Thursday 03 June 2004 23:21 CET Daniel Quinlan wrote:
>[...]
>   - very simple, non-controversial, and absolutely safe bug fixes (I
>     think this check-in is a good example, but any more would need a
>     review)

Other good examples are IMO bug 3462 and 3465 :)

Cheers,
Malte

--
[SGT] Simon G. Tatham: "How to Report Bugs Effectively"
      <http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html>

Re: when R-T-C is optional

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.
On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 02:48:17PM -0700, Dan Quinlan wrote:
> I didn't actually look at the ticket, I was just hoping to allow this
> sort of really simple, non-controversial, and nearly impossible to screw
> up fix *without* the review.  :-)

Ok.  It seemed like a "friendly reminder we're in RTC mode and what that
means" note.  Sorry.

> As a counter-example, changing a for loop to a while loop would be
> considered easy to screw up and would definitely need review.

Yeah.  We need to post the RTC docs under
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/DevelopmentStuff ...

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"A morning without a cup of coffee is like something without something

Re: when R-T-C is optional

Posted by Daniel Quinlan <qu...@pathname.com>.
Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net> writes:

> Just to check: "needed prior review" takes into account the fact there
> was a ticket and 4 +1s (if you assume I gave a +1 to my own patch)?

I didn't actually look at the ticket, I was just hoping to allow this
sort of really simple, non-controversial, and nearly impossible to screw
up fix *without* the review.  :-)

As a counter-example, changing a for loop to a while loop would be
considered easy to screw up and would definitely need review.

Daniel

Re: when R-T-C is optional

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.
On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 02:21:58PM -0700, Dan Quinlan wrote:
> This is simple, but it technically needed prior review, so I'll use this

Just to check: "needed prior review" takes into account the fact there
was a ticket and 4 +1s (if you assume I gave a +1 to my own patch)?

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
Joseph Stalin's grave was a Communist Plot.

RE: when R-T-C is optional

Posted by Sander Striker <st...@apache.org>.

Noel Bergman is the Incubator Chair, FWIW.

The general rule is that each project decides for themselves what
needs to be R-T-C and what needs to be C-T-R.

> Basically, I think
> it would help if we articulate which changes need R-T-C and
> which don't.

Documenting it surely helps.  Also for new committers, who need to
figure out what/when/how :)

Sander