Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Dane Foster <df...@equitytg.com> on 2001/08/14 21:14:58 UTC

speed

Will there be any _significant_ increases in performance with X-J2 vs X-J1?
And if so by what factor?

Dane Foster
Equity Technology Group, Inc
http://www.equitytg.com.
954.360.9800

Re: speed

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>.
Dane Foster wrote:
> Will there be any _significant_ increases in performance with
> X-J2 vs X-J1? And if so by what factor?

You should see speed improvements around the order of five
billion percent (depending on local regulations). With the
new modular architecture, we're able to plug in a time-warp
component into the parsing pipeline that is able to reach
into the future and pass XML document information back to
your application in the past.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :)

But seriously, a fully conformant parser that supports a
gadzillion different specifications is generally not going
to be super fast. However, XNI and the Xerces2 reference
implementation are designed so that you can re-arrange the
parsing configuration to fit your needs. Therefore, if you
are generating well-formed documents, you can implement a
minimal XML scanner and remove the validator from the
pipeline.

Hopefully, over time, Xerces2 will become a library of
various parser components (scanners: HTML, minimal XML,
etc; validators: DTD, XML Schema, RelaxNG, etc; other
processors: XInclude, etc). So you'll be able to pick
and choose the combinations that work best for you in
your situation.

But if you want to know how fast we've measured Xerces2
to be, we haven't done any metrics or tuning, yet. We're
certainly very open to your suggestions and especially
any code that you would like to donate to the project.