Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Jeffrey Blattman <je...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/12 18:38:26 UTC

unzip and run

would it make sense to have a roller+[tomcat|glassfish|...] unzip and
run bundle available on the download site? this seems to be the way
things are going ... for eval purposes anyway.

i was able to create a roller deploy-and-go WAR pretty easily from
the 5-min install. then we could of course create a unzip and run by
bundling roller and the web container, w/ roller.war in the
container's autodeploy folder.

thoughts?

Re: unzip and run

Posted by Jeffrey Blattman <je...@gmail.com>.
to be clear, i was not suggesting removing the roller only binary
dist. just adding another unzip-and-run option to the downloads.

RE: unzip and run

Posted by Java Web Development <ja...@verizon.net>.
> Do you really care about disk space? With terabyte hard drives only being a
> few hundred bucks, what's a hundred MBs? I'm sure we could use JarJar to
> create a single JAR that's 10 MB, but I think there's bigger fish to fry. I
> agree it's rather large, but I have 1 GB of space for $20/month, so it
> doesn't bother me. If it really bothers you, the best way to get it fixes is
> to come up with a proposal for fixing and implement it. I'm sure we'd be
> happy to accept your contribution.

I think I wasn't clear. The disk space isn't the issue, it's the 95M of memory extra in tomcat that roller is using. Like I said, it might be that I need to trim down the cache to reflect the size of this particular site. But from what I understand and have seen, the libraries you include in your web app increase the amount of memory tomcat uses.  Most hosting companies don't care how much bandwidth or diskspace you use because in most cases users only dream of even using 1/4 of their allowed bandwidth. Memory and CPU is what causes them headaches. Now with virtualization technologies becoming more popular it gives them the opportunity to regulate it. This is why it's harder to find good affordable java hosting vs php hosting.

I got gigs worth of memory to play with but it bugs me to see other people choosing something written in another technology over java when the java implementation is better. Just because some person decided to include a big jar file, only to use one class they could have written themselves in a dozen lines.

With a blog, the more smaller individual users using it, the better for everyone.

RE: unzip and run

Posted by Java Web Development <ja...@verizon.net>.
> Maven builds would be my preference. I could then generate Eclipse artifacts
> - the world doesn't revolve around Netbeans. Also, I think it would help
> distinguish the separation of the projects (JARs).
>
> -Nathan

I said there should be better IDE integration in general. I only singled out NetBeans in the examples because that's what I use the most. If Roller moves to Maven instead of ant then I hope that goals can be set up to easily deploy, debug and profile using the IDE's Maven plugin.

Maven might actually be better suited to separate the different components but I thought that recommending a few changes to the existing build system would be more reasonable in the short term.

Re: unzip and run

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nd...@apache.org>.

Re: unzip and run

Posted by Matt Raible <ma...@raibledesigns.com>.

RE: unzip and run

Posted by Nick Lothian <nl...@educationau.edu.au>.
[snip]

> For those that want to extend roller I think it would be nice to split up
> roller up into 3 projects and a 3rd party library folder that can easily be
> integrated into Netbeans and Eclipse. I haven't used Eclipse for a couple of
> years so I'll give the Netbeans example.
>
>  * A lib directory for all the 3rd party jars
>  * A Java Library Project for classes common to
>   both weblogger and planet
>  * A Web Project for weblogger that pulls in the
>   3rd party jars it needs from the lib folder and
>   is dependant on the common Java Library Project
>  * A Web Project for planet that pulls in jars and
>   depends on the library project as well.

+1

Or some kind of improved (more standard) project layout anyway (Maven 2 projects would be fine)

We have a lot of problems setting up roller for debugging with new developers.

[snip]

> The good news is Roller offers something that WordPress doesn't: Security
>
> http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/06/11/my-blog-was-hacked-is-yours-next-huge-wordpress-security-issues/
>
> ;0)

I think this confidence is misplaced. We've only being doing an integration project with Roller (so we've deliberately tried to stay out of the roller source code), and we have found enough security problems for us to be concerned. We haven't been looking for problems, nor have we conducted anything like a code audit.

I hate just being a critic, so I've created https://issues.apache.org/roller/browse/ROL-1727 with an attachments that include what we are doing for cross-site-scripting protection. See http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/roller-dev/200804.mbox/%3CC61BBB9C527C5A49A8C9069ABC4B005F2805D83F@eduau-mail.eduau.local%3E and http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/roller-dev/200805.mbox/%3CC61BBB9C527C5A49A8C9069ABC4B005F280DF57B@eduau-mail.eduau.local%3E for some background on this.

Nick

IMPORTANT: This e-mail, including any attachments, may contain private or confidential information. If you think you may not be the intended recipient, or if you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not reproduce any part of this e-mail or disclose its contents to any other party. This email represents the views of the individual sender, which do not necessarily reflect those of education.au limited except where the sender expressly states otherwise. It is your responsibility to scan this email and any files transmitted with it for viruses or any other defects. education.au limited will not be liable for any loss, damage or consequence caused directly or indirectly by this email.

RE: unzip and run

Posted by Java Web Development <ja...@verizon.net>.
Matt,

[...]

I don't know how much has to do with caching that I need to configure for a small, single blog site but there seem to be an awful lot of jars. Are all three spring, struts and guice really necessary? Why both freemaker and velocity? There are 18M worth of jars.

--
http://raibledesigns.com

Re: unzip and run

Posted by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com>.

--
http://raibledesigns.com

RE: unzip and run

Re: unzip and run

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Jeffrey Blattman
<je...@gmail.com> wrote:
> would it make sense to have a roller+[tomcat|glassfish|...] unzip and run
> bundle available on the download site? this seems to be the way things are
> going ... for eval purposes anyway.
>
> i was able to create a roller deploy-and-go WAR pretty easily from the 5-min
> install. then we could of course create a unzip and run by bundling roller
> and the web container, w/ roller.war in the container's autodeploy folder.

I think it makes perfect sense to make Roller + app server + database
bundles available for our official ASF releases.

I've done this in the past, see the Blogapps Server (Roller, JSPWiki,
Derby, Tomcat) and it makes it really easy to try Roller.

Glassfish is under CDDL, so we are allowed to distribute it with
Roller and not violate ASF policy.

- Dave