Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> on 2009/10/01 09:26:55 UTC

Re: AW: AW: Text rendering with FOP

I think this is about FOP's text renderer, not RTF. I don't think it's
easily possible to use the same stylesheet for PDF and text output, as
the text output is quite restricted in what it can do, first because
text output has a much reduced resolution and it has to find the best
possible way to map characters to a text position in the output. That's
why the following page contains some hints what to do to improve the
chances of getting good text output:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.95/output.html#txt

Georg, RTF doesn't have no users. Actually, a surprisingly large number
of people use it. The thing is: it's not well maintained and there are
severe restrictions concerning what can be mapped from XSL-FO to RTF.
But that's not the same as "discontinuing RTF functionality". It's still
available and will remain so for now (with the current restrictions).

Jeremias Maerki