Posted to torque-dev@db.apache.org by Thomas Fischer <tf...@apache.org> on 2005/09/12 08:28:21 UTC

3.2-RC2 in the next few days ?

Hi,

Does anyone object to push out RC2 in the next few days ? The other option
is doing it in three weeks as afterwards, I am on vacation for two weeks.

I am currently aware of the following open issues:

JCS. Obviously, the new release wont be in as it is not available. Does it
have so much improvements justifying to wait for it ?

The LargeSelect limit/offset issue. The developers who have raised a voice
are of the opinion that a javadoc statement should suffice, at least for
the moment. This would be in. A real solution would have to wait.

There was a bug report about functions in offsets to the dev list about
two weeks ago. It seems to be an enhancement rather than a bug to me. I
have not looked at it, but I will do so before pushing RC2.

      Thomas

Re: 3.2-RC2 in the next few days ?

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <th...@tewisoft.de>.
Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:
> Release RC2 with the current JCS version. Hopefully, 1.3 will be out
> when you are back. Alternatively you can fetch 1.2.6.5 (most current
> built?) from
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-turbine-jcs/tempbuild/, test
> with that one and lobby Aaron to push it to ibiblio.

If you want to go with the second approach, I've got two fixes for
deprecation issues with the new JCS. You find them attached.

Bye, Thomas.

Re: 3.2-RC2 in the next few days ?

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Thomas Vandahl <th...@tewisoft.de> writes:

>Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:
>> Release RC2 with the current JCS version. Hopefully, 1.3 will be out
>> when you are back. Alternatively you can fetch 1.2.6.5 (most current
>> built?) from
>> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-turbine-jcs/tempbuild/, test
>> with that one and lobby Aaron to push it to ibiblio.

>See http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/jcs/trunk/tempbuild for
>version 1.2.6.7 (dated 08/30/2005). Aaron obviously switched to SVN, too.

ah, yes, I forgot. We made him to. ;-)

So the download link @ http://jakarta.apache.org/jcs/Downloads.html is
broken / wrong.

	Best regards
		Henning

		      4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42

Re: 3.2-RC2 in the next few days ?

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <th...@tewisoft.de>.

Re: 3.2-RC2 in the next few days ?

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Thomas Fischer <tf...@apache.org> writes:

>Hi,

>Does anyone object to push out RC2 in the next few days ? The other option
>is doing it in three weeks as afterwards, I am on vacation for two weeks.

+1 Do it now. So we have two weeks to hammer on it and find bugs. :-)

>I am currently aware of the following open issues:

>JCS. Obviously, the new release wont be in as it is not available. Does it
>have so much improvements justifying to wait for it ?

Release RC2 with the current JCS version. Hopefully, 1.3 will be out
when you are back. Alternatively you can fetch 1.2.6.5 (most current
built?) from
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-turbine-jcs/tempbuild/, test
with that one and lobby Aaron to push it to ibiblio.

>The LargeSelect limit/offset issue. The developers who have raised a voice
>are of the opinion that a javadoc statement should suffice, at least for
>the moment. This would be in. A real solution would have to wait.

We've lived with that for so long; no need to hurry/delay here.

>There was a bug report about functions in offsets to the dev list about
>two weeks ago. It seems to be an enhancement rather than a bug to me. I
>have not looked at it, but I will do so before pushing RC2.

Else document as "open, may be fixed in RC3/final".

+1 for building an RC!

	Best regards
		Henning

		      4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42

Re: 3.2-RC2 in the next few days ?

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <th...@tewisoft.de>.
Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:
> static final please. Does "protected static final" make sense?

Well, Findbugs proposed it. As I see it, the values in question are used
as constants, which means that you should prevent value assignment in
derived classes.

Bye, Thomas.

Re: 3.2-RC2 in the next few days ?

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.

Re: 3.2-RC2 in the next few days ?

Posted by Thomas Fischer <tf...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 12 Sep 2005, Thomas Vandahl wrote:

> Thomas Fischer wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does anyone object to push out RC2 in the next few days ? The other option
>> is doing it in three weeks as afterwards, I am on vacation for two weeks.
>
> I just noticed that I forgot to attach my patches regarding the silent db hit
> issue in ObjectWithManager.vm. Here they are. I leave it to you to decide if
> you want them in RC2 or not.

Looks very good to me. Personally, I am all for putting it in. Objections
for anyone ?

      Thomas

Re: 3.2-RC2 in the next few days ?

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <th...@tewisoft.de>.