Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Roger Pack <ro...@juno.com> on 1999/01/21 23:41:35 UTC

documentation/3743: servername (hostname) auto lookup doesn't work

>Number:         3743
>Category:       documentation
>Synopsis:       servername (hostname) auto lookup doesn't work
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
No matter what dial-up connection I try, apache cannot auto detect my ip/dns name,
causing me to have to find it out and plug it in.  I am prevented from testing
apache while not being connected, as well.
>How-To-Repeat:
leave the servername global directive "absent"
>Fix:
I would suggest in http.conf putting a comment that told people to use
127.0.0.1 as an option if they are not connected or are testing apache locally.
It will help people just "test" it and not have to look up their ip every time,
etc, to get it working.