Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> on 2011/06/28 14:14:34 UTC

Re: Request for permission to use the OOo Trademark

On 6/27/2011 9:30 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 9:10 PM, Shane Curcuru<as...@shanecurcuru.org>  wrote:
>> Just in case other folks missed the tie-in between the different threads:
>>   branding and trademark policy for all Apache projects is handled on the
>> privately archived trademarks@apache.org mailing list. Apache policy is set
>> by the VP, Brand Management and the associated officer's committee, and
>> implementation of the policy details is left up to each project's (P)PMC.
>>
>> Sam pointed to the main trademark policy document below; at some point once
>> this project has more of the website migrated to Apache infrastructure,
>> folks will want to review the Apache Project Branding Requirements for
>> things that need to be on the project website.
>>
>>   http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs
>>
>> So the decision on licensing Apache marks for things like certification is
>> made between the VP, Brand Management and the project's (P)PMC.  Note that
>> we have specific policies for domains and events, and I believe the ASF will
>> need to further codify and document policies for services and third party
>> certifications in the future.
>>
>> Note also that Oracle's intent is indeed to assign all OOo related
>> trademarks to the ASF, although the legal paperwork is not yet complete.
>>   Thus, we can't actually license any uses of the OOo marks quite yet.  8-)
>>

> OK.  Thanks for the background info, Shane.   Will the PPMC be
> notified when the trademark transfer has been completed, so we can
> further discuss Ian's request?

Of course!  I'll also include the list of all the registrations (and
applications; the applications were not completed in all the countries
it was applied for)), and I'll also ask for a PPMC volunteer to help
tracking down the renewal details for various countries.

In terms of policies for certifications, we need to ensure that:

- The ASF as an entity does not take on risk.  We are a public charity
with a mission to produce software for the public good.  We're happy to
have third parties take our code and use it for any purposes (as spelled
out in the license), as long as third parties respect our brands.

- Apache marks need to be respected.  Thus any certification programs
that use our marks/logos need to have a clear distinction between the
third party's certification program and our marks.

- The ASF does not serve as a certification or standards body.  Thus we
need to be clear that it's the third party providing the "certification"
of any results, not the ASF.

I don't think any of these are difficult, nor should they be a surprise
to people like Ian; we just need to ensure we clearly specify what the
ASF's policy is on this first.

- Shane

Posted by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com>.
Shane, I'll be happy to assist on 'tracking down the renewal details for
various countries', as you say.

/don