Posted to dev@quickstep.apache.org by Jignesh Patel <jm...@gmail.com> on 2016/07/14 17:41:59 UTC

5 things

Dear Quickstep-pers:

A bunch of comments/updates.

#1: The initial project website is up at http://quickstep.incubator.apache.org. It is really early and still needs a lot of work.

#2: There is now a quickstart guide in the main repo: https://github.com/apache/incubator-quickstep/blob/master/README.md Again lots of work to do, but it is a start.

#3: We need a more pages/writeup to cover more of the basics, which includes at least a “Supported SQL surface” and additional examples. Will work on this as I can steal time. Volunteers are of course welcome!

#4: We need to write a better developer guide; i.e. improve the intro to dev at https://github.com/apache/incubator-quickstep/blob/master/DEV_README.md. I know the code is well-commented, but we should be making it easier to welcome new developers. We can also provide a list of relatively simple projects that new developers could take on. Ideas here are welcome.

#5: We need a guide for the developer community governance. Below is a starting point.

As usual comments welcome!

Cheers,

Jignesh

Quickstep is a data platform that is written in C++ and uses advanced C++ techniques including template meta-programming and various abstractions to balance high-performance with extensibility. Thus, a good grasp over C++ concepts is essential for a Quickstep developer.

Quickstep has a set of core contributors who are collectively the stewards of the project. In addition, there is a set of general contributors who contribute individual changes. The initial list of core and general contributors is listed below.

Core contributors can close pull requests, except pull requests that they have created (which must be examined and closed by another core contributor). Anyone can open a pull request and once a pull request has been accepted that committer becomes part of the general contributors group.

A general contributor can become a core contributor by getting support from at least two core contributors. It is expected that a general contributor will have demonstrated proficiency in understanding and working with the core engine to become part of the core contributors group.

To maintain membership in the core contributors group, the contributor must be active in the project in the preceding 6-month period. Membership of the core contributors is examined and determined bi-annually by the Apache Quickstep PPMC.

Core Contributors (as of July 14, 2016):

·       Jignesh M. Patel

·       Harshad Deshmukh

·       Jianqiao Zhu

·       Zuyu Zhang

·       Marc Spehlmann

·       Saket Saurabh

·       Hakan Memisoglu

·       Rogers Jeffrey Leo John

·       Navneet Potti

Core Collaborators (as of June 18, 2016):

·       Adalbert Gerald Soosai Raj

·       Siddharth Suresh

·       Rathijit Sen

·       Craig Chasseur

·       Yinan Li

·       Qiang Zeng

·       Shoban Chandrabose

·       Roman Shaposhnik

·       Julian Hyde

·       Jesse Zhang

Re: 5 things

Posted by J Patel <jm...@gmail.com>.
Dear Julian,

Your feedback is very welcome and valuable as usual. Comments inlined
below, but overall I thought I was proposing that seems to be in line with
the Apache governance model. If there are specific issues, would love if
you can point it out in general and I can go work on it.

> In general, it is expected that to maintain
> > membership in the Committer group, the developer must be active in the
> > project in the preceding 6-month period.
>
> Procedures to allow committers and PMC members to “go emeritus” do
> exist[1] but in my opinion they are solving a non-problem.

Great. Sounds like this part is ok then.

> > PMC members can commit code directly to the main repository, but are
> > generally advised to open a PR and allow another Committer to close the
> PR.
>
> The role of the PMC (actually PPMC while Quickstep is incubating) is
> solely governance. PPMC members should not have more rights than committers
> where it comes to code. We don’t want to create two tiers of committers.

Good point -- will remove this distinction.

> > A Contributor can become a Committer by getting support from at least two
> > existing Committers. It is expected that a Contributor will have
> > demonstrated proficiency in understanding and working with the core
> engine
> > to become part of the Committer group.
>
> Per Apache rules committers are appointed by achieving consensus
> (typically a vote) in the PMC[2].

Got it. I read [2] as being general guidelines but not binding. It is okay
to do this by consensus too over email.

> > The PMC meets at least annually. Meetings are announced at least two
> weeks
> > in advance on the project developer list. Any Committer is welcome to
> > propose agenda items for the meeting. The PMC chair consults the overall
> > PMC to finalize the agenda. The meeting agenda must be finalized two days
> > before the meeting and communicated on the project developer list. Agenda
> > items can include, but is not limited to, voting for changes to the PMC,
> > changes to the Committers group, and changes to the community governance
> > document. Only existing PMC members can vote on motions. For a motion to
> > carry, a majority of the votes that are cast must be in favor of the
> > motion. Ties are broken by the PMC Chair. Proxies are permitted, and must
> > be communicated to the PMC Chair prior to the meeting.
>
> Per Apache, the PMC meets continually… via email. I suppose the PMC could
> have an annual meeting, but business such as appointing members does not
> have to wait for that.

Agreed. I worded this carefully to say "at least" ; limit on the
upper-bound. So, I'm not seeing a conflict there.

> Apache has a procedure for appointing members to the PMC[3]. You need to
> follow this.

I did get this part wrong. Nice catch! I should really propose simply
following the guidelines there. I was hoping there was some way for the
existing PPMC to agree on a proposed new PPMC member before emailing
board@apache.org. So, perhaps what I have could be applied to getting
consensus on a proposal within the Quickstep PPMC and then making a formal
proposal.

> Jignesh, As I said in a previous email, it’s good that you are thinking
> about governance. But we are going to be at odds until you read &
> understand the existing Apache governance. I think you need to take the
> time to do this before proposing alternatives. The Apache governance is
> well established and is proven. And considerable parts of it are mandatory.

If the above largely covers it, I'll work on making another round over the
next few days.

Agreed Julian  about your point about me not fully understanding the
governance. It is somewhat complicated, and in some cases information is a
bit scattered. I am still learning about the Apache way, and very much
appreciate your detailed input.

Cheers,
Jignesh

Re: 5 things

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
See below, comments on specific points.

> On Aug 3, 2016, at 1:35 PM, J Patel <jm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> All: Would love to hear your thoughts on a release. I'd like to propose mid
> to late November, which likely works out best given the semester cadence
> (yeah -- I know we are far skewed in the Committer to that, at least for
> now).

November seems a very long way off. Remember, a release is a good way to attract contributors, and does not need to be “perfect” or a big splash in terms of marketing.

> In general, it is expected that to maintain
> membership in the Committer group, the developer must be active in the
> project in the preceding 6-month period.

Procedures to allow committers and PMC members to “go emeritus” do exist[1] but in my opinion they are solving a non-problem.

> PMC members can commit code directly to the main repository, but are
> generally advised to open a PR and allow another Committer to close the PR.

The role of the PMC (actually PPMC while Quickstep is incubating) is solely governance. PPMC members should not have more rights than committers where it comes to code. We don’t want to create two tiers of committers.

> A Contributor can become a Committer by getting support from at least two
> existing Committers. It is expected that a Contributor will have
> demonstrated proficiency in understanding and working with the core engine
> to become part of the Committer group.

Per Apache rules committers are appointed by achieving consensus (typically a vote) in the PMC[2].

> The PMC meets at least annually. Meetings are announced at least two weeks
> in advance on the project developer list. Any Committer is welcome to
> propose agenda items for the meeting. The PMC chair consults the overall
> PMC to finalize the agenda. The meeting agenda must be finalized two days
> before the meeting and communicated on the project developer list. Agenda
> items can include, but is not limited to, voting for changes to the PMC,
> changes to the Committers group, and changes to the community governance
> document. Only existing PMC members can vote on motions. For a motion to
> carry, a majority of the votes that are cast must be in favor of the
> motion. Ties are broken by the PMC Chair. Proxies are permitted, and must
> be communicated to the PMC Chair prior to the meeting.

Per Apache, the PMC meets continually… via email. I suppose the PMC could have an annual meeting, but business such as appointing members does not have to wait for that.

Apache has a procedure for appointing members to the PMC[3]. You need to follow this.

Jignesh, As I said in a previous email, it’s good that you are thinking about governance. But we are going to be at odds until you read & understand the existing Apache governance. I think you need to take the time to do this before proposing alternatives. The Apache governance is well established and is proven. And considerable parts of it are mandatory.

Julian

[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#pmc-removal <http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#pmc-removal>

[2] http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#newcommitter <http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#newcommitter>

[3] http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#newpmc <http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#newpmc>

Re: 5 things

Posted by J Patel <jm...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Julian! Nope hadn't seen those emails -- I bet its in my (now
deleted) Pivotal mailbox.

@Julian: Nice feedback on using the Apache terms. Makes sense. New proposal
attached.

@Roman: We do have a new README.md file in the main repo to get started.

@Julian and @Roman:  Feedback well taken on the release.

All: Would love to hear your thoughts on a release. I'd like to propose mid
to late November, which likely works out best given the semester cadence
(yeah -- I know we are far skewed in the Committer to that, at least for
now).

QUICKSTEP DEVELOPER COMMUNITY GOVERNANCE

Quickstep is a data platform that is written in C++ and uses advanced C++
techniques including template meta-programming and various abstractions to
balance high-performance with extensibility. Thus, a good grasp over C++
concepts is essential for a Quickstep developer.

Quickstep has a group of *Committers* who are collectively responsible for
the code repository. Committers have write access to the code repository
and must have signed a Contributors License Agreement (CLA). In addition,
there is a set of *Contributors* who contribute individual changes. The
overall stewardship of the project rests with the Project Management
Committee (*PMC*), which is a subset of the Committers. A member of the PMC
is selected as the *PMC Chair*.

Contributors and Committers must submit pull requests (PR) for proposed
code changes. Only Committers can close PRs. But, a committer can not close
their own PR, which must be examined and closed by another Committer.
Anyone can open a PR and once a PR has been accepted that developer becomes
part of the Contributors group. In general, it is expected that to maintain
[...]

*Core Contributors, also the PMC (as of August 5, 2016):*
Harshad Deshmukh
Rogers Jeffrey Leo John
Hakan Memisoglu
Jignesh M. Patel (PMC Chair)
Navneet Potti
Saket Saurabh
Marc Spehlmann
Zuyu Zhang

Jianqiao Zhu

*Core Collaborators (as of August 5, 2016):*
Shoban Chandrabose
Craig Chasseur
Shixuan Fan
Julian Hyde
Yinan Li
Rathijit Sen
Roman Shaposhnik
Adalbert Gerald Soosai Raj
Siddharth Suresh
Caleb Welton

Re: 5 things

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
Did you see my reply[1] and Roman’s reply[2] to your message?

I think it’s great that you are thinking about governance, review process, and a path for people to become members of the project. But before you invent concepts like “core contributor”, are you familiar with the Apache concepts such as “committer”?[3]

Since Quickstep is in incubation, your goal must be to understand the Apache Way and craft the project’s governance model within that.

Julian

[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-quickstep-dev/201607.mbox/%3C0B87BE6C-93F4-4959-BD9A-D9E89E0A3835%40apache.org%3E <http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-quickstep-dev/201607.mbox/%3C0B87BE6C-93F4-4959-BD9A-D9E89E0A3835@apache.org%3E>

[2] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-quickstep-dev/201607.mbox/%3CCA%2BULb%2BtWAA_c4e-YYAitXfDMAz60Y_XVZMSN4QUPvOgNE7dojA%40mail.gmail.com%3E <http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-quickstep-dev/201607.mbox/%3CCA+ULb+tWAA_c4e-YYAitXfDMAz60Y_XVZMSN4QUPvOgNE7dojA@mail.gmail.com%3E>

[3] http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#roles <http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#roles>

Re: 5 things

#1: Adding Caleb Welton to the general contributors' list.  (Thanks Caleb
for your contribution, which has now been merged to the master!).

#2: Sorted both lists by the last name.

Re: 5 things

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
To pile on top of great feedback from Julian, I'd like to add that until
you have your first official release the Download button has to be
taken down and replaced with 'how to build/etc.' page on the website
or a wiki page.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: 5 things