Posted to general@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.eu> on 2009/05/22 21:29:14 UTC

Re: Sharing Common Content Between Websites [was: Re: svn commit: r773846 - /xmlgraphics/commons/trunk/src/documentation/skinconf.xml]

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 12:31:06PM +0100, Vincent Hennebert wrote:
> The Web Maestro wrote:
> > Some level of sharing is possible, but IMHO the ApacheCon badge
> > 'problem' is screaming for some sort of Apache-wide RSS solution that
> > automatically takes down 'expired' info and replaces it with upcoming
> > ones.
>
> That???s actually quite true. Still I think there are other configuration
> items that are duplicated at the moment, and that it would be good if we
> could share them. 90% of the skinconf.xml files are identical between
> FOP and XML Graphics...

For ASF and other events or other announcements dynamic inclusion of a
common page (project or ASF wide) would work.

> I was thinking of playing with Subversion External Definitions [1] to
> store the common stuff, and possibly xinclude it in the applicable
> files. Remains to see if that???s doable with Forrest.
>
> [1] http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch07s04.html

Current documentation is at:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.advanced.externals.html

> > Since Forrest can interact with RSS, it should be possible to create
> > an element that grabs the image. Someone would still have to maintain
> > the RSS, which would probably be best if it were a task managed by the
> > ApacheCon folks...

Each website would still have to be regenerated after each new RSS
message. Or do I miss the idea?

--
Simon Pepping
home page: http://www.leverkruid.eu

Posted by The Web Maestro <th...@gmail.com>.
A couple of additional notes:

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 1:05 PM, The Web Maestro
<th...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Other options:
> - include it as RSS (requiring regeneration), and include a
> JavaScript/AJAX to replace it (e.g., via .innerHTML) if it's updated

By the above, I mean that we could include the RSS (which would
require regeneration for updated HTML to be rendered) *and* we could
include JavaScript/Ajax to replace the content with updated
information (which would *not* require regeneration to keep the info
current). Info on including JavaScript (& CSS) in a Forrest site is
available here:

http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_80/faq.html#javascript

> - <ack!>iframe it</ack!>

The following FAQ indicates how to include HTML in standard HTML
format (as opposed to Forrest's xdoc format):
http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_80/faq.html#rawHTML

Regards,

The Web Maestro
--
<th...@gmail.com> - <http://ourlil.com/>
- HH The 14th Dalai Lama of Tibet

Posted by The Web Maestro <th...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 12:29 PM, Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.eu> wrote:
> On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 12:31:06PM +0100, Vincent Hennebert wrote:
>> The Web Maestro wrote:
>> > Since Forrest can interact with RSS, it should be possible to create
>> > an element that grabs the image. Someone would still have to maintain
>> > the RSS, which would probably be best if it were a task managed by the
>> > ApacheCon folks...
>
> Each website would still have to be regenerated after each new RSS
> message. Or do I miss the idea?

D'oh! I forgot about that. I don't see that as too big a deal, as all
it would take is someone noticing it's old, and then re-generating the
site(s)...