Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Florin Jurcovici <fl...@mail.dnttm.ro> on 2006/10/19 18:10:52 UTC

Somewhat off topic: Re: Updated ES Ofbiz user guide ...

Hello.

> As always please let me know what you think of it and if you find it
> useful.  I would also appreciate feedback on this to improve it overtime.

Maybe change the file format from .doc to .odt? For the sake of being able
to do reasonable version comparisons.

Off topic: I just finished a document with a 55+ pages table, using OOo,
so I think OOo is pretty mature for production. And especially for what
you need (i.e. technical documentation), I think the vesioning feature
rocks. You can save several versions inside the same document, restore
them all at once, delete them, compare versions, do a manual merge between
an older version and the current state, etc. The versioning feature is
actually one of the few very important reasons why I use OOo instead of
Word, the others being the included free ppt-equivalent with diagramming
features more like Visio and the extremely powerful PDF export. But there
are other features too, which make it a product more useful to me than
Word: smarter numbered and bulleted lists, better navigator, faster ops
 from the table toolbar, etc. The only thing I don't like is that it starts
slower than Word, and also opens documents slower. But all in all, it
seems the ppl developing it targeted it at other technical ppl, and it's a
good product.

br,

--
Florin Jurcovici