Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org> on 2007/02/06 23:54:20 UTC

Re: [vote] Release Maven Parent POM 5 and Maven Plugins Parent POM 8

what is the status on this?
there are plugin releases waiting for it. I think we should make the
release Brett suggested and then with more time do another one if
needed.

On 1/31/07, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:

> On 31 Jan 07, at 12:30 PM 31 Jan 07, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>
> > +0 on this
> >

> I have all day tomorrow set aside for release goop. I will start in
> the wee hours PST and go until the release stuff is in the POM,
> doco'd and then I'll pump out the other stuff. At that point anyone
> should be able to do a release.
>
> Jason.
>
> > If Jason says go then go.
> >
> > Unfortunately I haven't been able to verify the poms myself. Can't
> > seem to find enough time right now between day job and a crashing
> > computer at home :(
> >
> > Brett Porter wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> This is a dependency for upcoming plugin releases. The changes to
> >> each are attached to this message - it shifts the release profile
> >> to the maven POM, adds some developers, and removes the need for
> >> the plugin surrogate parent.
> >> SVN revision: 500513
> >> Maven Snapshot version: 5-20070127.114244-3
> >> Maven Plugins Snapshot version: 8-20070127.114249-2
> >> [ ] +1
> >> [ ] +0
> >> [ ] -1
> >> Cheers,
> >> Brett
> >
> > --
> > Dennis Lundberg

I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
No good. I've known too many Spaniards.
                             -- The Princess Bride

Re: [vote] Release Maven Parent POM 5 and Maven Plugins Parent POM 8

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 6 Feb 07, at 5:54 PM 6 Feb 07, Carlos Sanchez wrote:

> what is the status on this?

Just working on the repository copying/merging but the rest of it
works. If someone wants to release something now then I can flip it
back to releasing directly but I wanted to move toward having a real
staging directory.

> there are plugin releases waiting for it. I think we should make the
> release Brett suggested and then with more time do another one if
> needed.

If I'm not done by tomorrow then we can put the direct releasing back
in.

Jason.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 07/02/2007, at 11:58 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> On 6 Feb 07, at 5:54 PM 6 Feb 07, Carlos Sanchez wrote:
>
>> what is the status on this?
>
> Actually in the short term what's there will work without staging
> with one small change. Basically point the staging repository to
> the real repository until we get the repository copying working. So
> if this is fine with folks we can release the Maven POM as it is
> and for people who don't want to stage can just release directly.

So, what are the directions for doing so? Can you write them up
somewhere and then call a vote on the parents?

I'm not sure if they've changed, but the previous poms were just the
default configuration.

> Doing the staging is not overly convenient but I can document that
> as well if we want to enforce staging. You basically have to
> install Maven on people.apache.org and install the repository tools
> plugin and use it from your account on the Maven box. Until the bug
> in the SCP wagon is fixed this is the only way you can move the
> artifacts from the staging repository to the production repository.

I don't think installing Maven on there is practical - it seems to
have been problematic to run any java stuff on there in the past.
Probably best to wait until it's worked out.

cheers,
Brett

Re: [vote] Release Maven Parent POM 5 and Maven Plugins Parent POM 8

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 9 Feb 07, at 12:46 PM 9 Feb 07, Dennis Lundberg wrote:

> Jason van Zyl wrote:
>> On 9 Feb 07, at 12:22 PM 9 Feb 07, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>>> I must have misunderstood what you were trying to accomplish
>>> Jason. I was under the impression that the changes to the parent
>>> poms were made so that *direct* releases would work well. After
>>> that, the work on enabling *staged* releases would start. That is
>>> what I would prefer.
>>>
>> Both work.
>
> If the default is "direct release", without the need to configure
> it, I'm happy.

You have to configure it according the instructions checked in. For
us we decided to stage. For other projects the old way kicks in.
While the bugs are being worked out you can easily directly release
if you need to.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Jason van Zyl wrote:

> On 9 Feb 07, at 12:22 PM 9 Feb 07, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>
>> I must have misunderstood what you were trying to accomplish Jason. I
>> was under the impression that the changes to the parent poms were made
>> so that *direct* releases would work well. After that, the work on
>> enabling *staged* releases would start. That is what I would prefer.
>>

> Both work.

If the default is "direct release", without the need to configure it,
I'm happy.

>> Not everybody has the need for staging (or the possibility to set it
>> up), so we shouldn't force that on users. There are benefits to staged
>> releases, but it should be offered as an alternative to direct
>> releases - not a replacement.
>
> This is only for us and we have decided to do staging. This is why I
> moved to a completely externalized profile which we are using that no
> one else has to.

That's fine by me.

> Jason.
>

>> Jason van Zyl wrote:
>>> Actually in the short term what's there will work without staging
>>> with one small change. Basically point the staging repository to the
>>> real repository until we get the repository copying working. So if
>>> this is fine with folks we can release the Maven POM as it is and for
>>> people who don't want to stage can just release directly.
>>> Doing the staging is not overly convenient but I can document that as
>>> well if we want to enforce staging. You basically have to install
>>> Maven on people.apache.org and install the repository tools plugin
>>> and use it from your account on the Maven box. Until the bug in the
>>> SCP wagon is fixed this is the only way you can move the artifacts
>>> from the staging repository to the production repository.
>>> So if we release it as it is now it works fine. If you want to stage
>>> you can, if you want to release it directly we can allow that for the
>>> time being until the copying fully works conveniently.
>>> Jason.

Dennis Lundberg

Re: [vote] Release Maven Parent POM 5 and Maven Plugins Parent POM 8

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 9 Feb 07, at 12:22 PM 9 Feb 07, Dennis Lundberg wrote:

> I must have misunderstood what you were trying to accomplish Jason.
> I was under the impression that the changes to the parent poms were
> made so that *direct* releases would work well. After that, the
> work on enabling *staged* releases would start. That is what I
> would prefer.

Both work.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

Jason van Zyl wrote:
> On 6 Feb 07, at 5:54 PM 6 Feb 07, Carlos Sanchez wrote:
>
>> what is the status on this?
>
> Actually in the short term what's there will work without staging with
> one small change. Basically point the staging repository to the real
> repository until we get the repository copying working. So if this is
> fine with folks we can release the Maven POM as it is and for people who
> don't want to stage can just release directly.
>
> Doing the staging is not overly convenient but I can document that as
> well if we want to enforce staging. You basically have to install Maven
> on people.apache.org and install the repository tools plugin and use it
> from your account on the Maven box. Until the bug in the SCP wagon is
> fixed this is the only way you can move the artifacts from the staging
> repository to the production repository.
>
> So if we release it as it is now it works fine. If you want to stage you
> can, if you want to release it directly we can allow that for the time
> being until the copying fully works conveniently.
>
> Jason.
>
>> there are plugin releases waiting for it. I think we should make the
>> release Brett suggested and then with more time do another one if
>> needed.

>>> I have all day tomorrow set aside for release goop. I will start in
>>> the wee hours PST and go until the release stuff is in the POM,
>>> doco'd and then I'll pump out the other stuff. At that point anyone
>>> should be able to do a release.
>>>
>>> Jason.

>> --I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
>> No good. I've known too many Spaniards.
>>                             -- The Princess Bride

Dennis Lundberg

Re: [vote] Release Maven Parent POM 5 and Maven Plugins Parent POM 8

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 6 Feb 07, at 10:49 PM 6 Feb 07, Wendy Smoak wrote:

> On 2/6/07, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:
>
>> Doing the staging is not overly convenient but I can document that as
>> well if we want to enforce staging. You basically have to install
>> Maven on people.apache.org and install the repository tools plugin
>> and use it from your account on the Maven box. Until the bug in the
>> SCP wagon is fixed this is the only way you can move the artifacts
>> from the staging repository to the production repository.
>
> Is this documented?

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/site/trunk/src/site/apt/
developers/release/releasing.apt

> I need the "repository merge" feature, but I
> don't see a repository tools plugin.

http://svn.codehaus.org/mojo/trunk/mojo/mojo-sandbox/repositorytools-
maven-plugin/

> (FWIW I've been staging releases by simply overriding
> <distributionManagement> <repository> so that nothing ever goes
> straight to the rsynced repo.)

Yes, but that will be made easier by the tools that Tom has made. You
can't just copy the stuff over into a production repository unless
you are manually modifying the metadata.

Jason.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 2/6/07, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:

> Doing the staging is not overly convenient but I can document that as
> well if we want to enforce staging. You basically have to install
> Maven on people.apache.org and install the repository tools plugin
> and use it from your account on the Maven box. Until the bug in the
> SCP wagon is fixed this is the only way you can move the artifacts
> from the staging repository to the production repository.

Is this documented?  I need the "repository merge" feature, but I

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 6 Feb 07, at 5:54 PM 6 Feb 07, Carlos Sanchez wrote:

> what is the status on this?
> there are plugin releases waiting for it. I think we should make the
> release Brett suggested and then with more time do another one if
> needed.

Actually on the repository copying Joakim was going to help me track
down the bug in the SCP Wagon and I need to test a couple more things
with Tom.

Jason.