Posted to dev@lucy.apache.org by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> on 2010/09/30 18:28:31 UTC

[lucy-dev] Grant progress

Greets,

The software grant for the KinoSearch codebase is moving forward:

    https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCY-122

    * The snapshot tarball has been attached to JIRA.
    * A modified SGA form has been prepared as per option 2 of
      <http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html#notes>.
    * Email has been sent out to all parties that we need to participate in
      the grant requesting that they print, sign and send in the SGA.

One contributor who has faxed in his form already has asked for confirmation
that it was received.  I'd also like to be able to find out who has sent in
forms so that I can thank those who have sent them and, after a week has
passed, follow up with those whose forms are still missing.  Is it possible
for for a Member of the ASF (as all our Mentors are) to peer into the process
and see such information?  According to the IP Clearance form, it should be
possible to see the grant in a "grants.txt" file:

    http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/ip-clearance-template.html

    Receipt of the software grant form must be acknowledged by an Officer of the
    ASF by recording in the correct file (grants.txt for a License Grant or
    cclas.txt for a Corporate CLA). In most normal circumstances, the officer
    should be the ASF Secretary, who must be provided a copy of the grant or CCLA
    in any case (if not originally sent or Emailed to him).

However, that may only refer to acknowledgment on completion, and it's not
clear whether there is a way of monitoring the status of a multi-party grant
in progress.

Also, perhaps we should email secretary@a.o a heads-up regarding the grant?
As of now, the Secretary has started receiving documents, but it may not be
clear what they are -- the form does not mention "Lucy".  Nevertheless, I
believe that either Sam Ruby or Craig Russell is the Secretary and they are at
least both aware of "KinoSearch" and its relation to the Lucy podling.

This blog post from Sam Ruby about the Apache Secretary workflow seems like it
might be of interest:

    http://intertwingly.net/blog/2010/01/28/Secretary-Workflow

Marvin Humphrey

Re: [lucy-dev] Grant progress

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
I can certainly watch for this stuff.

Upayavira

Re: [lucy-dev] Grant progress

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 09:28:31AM -0700, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
> One contributor who has faxed in his form already has asked for confirmation
> that it was received.

This contributor has now informed me that the Secretary sent a confirmation
email in response to the fax... so that addresses one of the issues.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: [lucy-dev] Grant progress

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 09:28:31AM -0700, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
> The software grant for the KinoSearch codebase is moving forward:
>
>     https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCY-122
>
>     * The snapshot tarball has been attached to JIRA.
>     * A modified SGA form has been prepared as per option 2 of
>       <http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html#notes>.
>     * Email has been sent out to all parties that we need to participate in
>       the grant requesting that they print, sign and send in the SGA.

Further progress has been made:

    * All the major copyright holders sent in their grant forms, allowing us
      to proceed with the import.
    * Mike McCandless performed the initial commit of the tarball's raw
      contents to incubator/lucy/trunk/import.
    * I performed an svn remove on the contents of the old trunk, which has
      been supplanted by the grant code.
    * LUCY-122 is being left open for now to track the remaining outstanding
      grant forms.
    * LUCY-123 has been opened to track the modification of the
      copyright/licensing notifications, including installation of ASL
      headers, addition of NOTICE and LICENSE, etc.

Marvin Humphrey