Posted to dev@superset.apache.org by Will Barrett <ba...@gmail.com> on 2020/09/29 17:33:28 UTC

[CVE-2020-13952] Apache Superset Information Disclosure Vulnerability

Affected Versions: Apache Superset < 0.37.2

In the course of work on the open source project it was discovered that authenticated users running queries against Hive and Presto database engines could access information via a number of templated fields including the contents of query description metadata database, the hashed version of the authenticated users’ password, and access to connection information including the plaintext password for the current connection. It would also be possible to run arbitrary methods on the database connection object for the Presto or Hive connection, allowing the user to bypass security controls internal to Superset. This vulnerability is present in every Apache Superset version < 0.37.2.

Will Barrett
Member of the Project Management Committee
Apache Incubator Superset

Re: [CVE-2020-13952] Apache Superset Information Disclosure Vulnerability

Posted by William Barrett <wi...@preset.io>.
This is a separate CVE, for additional vulnerabilities detected in the Jinja templating system and fixed in 0.37.2. At this point there is no known workaround. This particular issue only affects the Presto and Hive databases, so if you do not run Superset against those databases the CVE will not be relevant for your organization.

Posted by Maxime Beauchemin <ma...@preset.io>.
This is a different CVE but is also related to Jinja templates but a
different manifestation of it. It was found and identified while doing an
audit of everything exposed in Jinja templates.

Max

Posted by Ricardo Martinelli de Oliveira <rm...@redhat.com>.