Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Kenneth Fogel <kf...@dawsoncollege.qc.ca> on 2019/11/18 17:32:18 UTC

Cloud Based NetBeans

When I attended Microsoft Ignite, I was a guest of Microsoft, we were told of a new version of Visual Studio that will be hosted in the cloud. You can see it at https://online.visualstudio.com<https://online.visualstudio.com/login>. You need a Microsoft account and a free Azure account. You can see the details for yourself and the purpose of this email is not to promote this offering.

What this email is about is to discuss whether or not a cloud based NetBeans is possible. With more and more users, therefore potential new developers, using tablets and Chromebooks, less and less people will have traditional PCs. Other languages such as Python have browser based IDEs. Should we be investigating this?

[cid:image011.jpg@01D58921.806E3550]
Ken Fogel
Faculty / Java Champion
email: kfogel@dawsoncollege.qc.ca<ma...@dawsoncollege.qc.ca>
phone: (514) 931-8731 local 4799
Dawson College, 3040 Sherbrooke St. W Westmount, Quebec, H3Z 1A4, Canada
[facebook icon]<https://www.facebook.com/ken.fogel> [twitter icon] <https://twitter.com/omniprof>  [youtube icon] <https://www.youtube.com/kenfogel>  [linkedin icon] <https://www.linkedin.com/in/kenfogel/>  [instagram icon] <https://www.instagram.com/omniprof/>
[cid:16cd4bdce7eaf8d708]<https://www.dawsoncollege.qc.ca/>

Re: Cloud Based NetBeans

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.
I think many have mentioned some of the other online IDEs (search for best
online ides for more) so will limit input in that...

I recall at Code One this year one of the sessions I believe by the gluon
folks talked about a way of porting existing (I believe jfx based)
applications using some framework (maybe some phone gap offshoot) which
allowed the same application to be hosted as a desktop app, mobile app, and
web based app with limited changes.

There is the JavaFX WebView as well which may be worth wild.

But much of this may also raise the thought of JavaFX based Netbeans but
that’s a separate discussion.

Eric

Eric Bresie
ebresie@gmail.com

Re: Cloud Based NetBeans

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.

Re: Cloud Based NetBeans

Posted by Tim Boudreau <ni...@gmail.com>.

Re: Cloud Based NetBeans

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.
FYI: NbJavac & other Nb parts running in your browser:

http://dew.apidesign.org/dew/

-jt

RE: Cloud Based NetBeans

Posted by Eirik Bakke <eb...@ultorg.com>.
> That said, I don't think that an IDE is a good application for web browsers. Too much interactions, too much parallel/background stuff that has to be done, the web UI is too limited etc. My personal opinion is that I rather would like to see all developers effort is put into making the already great Netbeans IDE even better, and concentrate on that.

Strong agree. An IDE is exactly the kind of application where the desktop model really shines.

That is not to say you can't incorporate collaborative features in a desktop application. We already have great git support, and it would be perfectly possible, for instance, to implement collaborative editing (a la Google Docs or some of the latest Microsoft Visual Studio demos) from within the NetBeans IDE.

-- Eirik

Posted by Jens Zurawski <jz...@diegurus.de>.

Re: Cloud Based NetBeans

Posted by Chuck Davis <cj...@gmail.com>.
Well put, Scott.

Re: Cloud Based NetBeans

Posted by Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com>.

AW: Cloud Based NetBeans

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.

Re: Cloud Based NetBeans

Posted by Arnaud bourree <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Cloud Based NetBeans

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
It’s been tried multiple times, just doesn’t seem to have caught on. Maybe
this time it will be different for the subset of applications to which
development in the Cloud makes sense.

From a NetBeans perspective it would mean ‘editor functionality as a

Re: Cloud Based NetBeans

Posted by Josh Juneau <ju...@gmail.com>.
I think from my vantage point, the biggest benefit of having Apache NetBeans in the browser would be the ability to code anywhere.  I would like to have the ability to code on my iPad if I needed to do so.  I can certainly use a text editor to do so, but it certainly would be nice to run NetBeans on an iPad so that there would be a full developer experience.

Best Regards

Josh Juneau
juneau001@gmail.com
http://jj-blogger.blogspot.com
https://www.apress.com/us/search?query=Juneau

Re: Cloud Based NetBeans

Posted by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 6:11 AM Siddhesh Rane <si...@disroot.org>
wrote:

> Putting your IDE in the browser sounds nice but what benefit does it
> bring?

To you: cross-platform development, the ability to move between devices and
continue development, possibly pair programming by distant people.

To Microsoft: spying on the software development industry on an
unprecedented level, anticompetitiveness against other software development
companies (as they can see what everybody else is developing before they
release it), a software piracy solution that actually works, ongoing
revenue from rentism, less money spent on development as Javascript
developers come cheap and they can reuse code from Visual Studio Code. What
could bring them greater benefits?

Stay off the cloud, and not just Microsoft's.

Regards
Damjan

Re: Cloud Based NetBeans

Posted by Siddhesh Rane <si...@disroot.org>.