Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by Rita <rm...@gmail.com> on 2011/03/09 13:24:26 UTC

datanode memory requirement

All of my data nodes have 16GB of memory. Would increasing my Java virtual
memory help in performance?

Re: datanode memory requirement

Posted by elton sky <el...@gmail.com>.
I don't think data node needs much memory, as Stu suggested.  There will be
requirement for memory when running a map reduce job. In  that case, more
memory is better for in memory sorting (on map) and in-memory copy (on
reduce).

Namenode needs memory to hold meta data though.

Posted by Rita <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by st...@yahoo.com.