Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com> on 2012/06/30 01:59:21 UTC

Google Compute Engine API front-end to CloudStack

Along the lines of the AWS API front-end to CloudStack, would anybody be interested in developing the GCE front-end? The GCE API [1] is quite elementary — the most complex piece would be adding an OAuth2 server and integrate that with CloudStack's API key management.

GCE maps to basic zone: the mapping between GCE concepts and CloudStack resources are:

Network == Security Group
Firewall == Ingress Rule
Image == Template
Instance == Vm / Instance
Project == Account (or Project)
Zone == Zone
Disk == Volume
User == User (or Account depending on how Project is mapped)
Machinetype == service offering

[1]https://developers.google.com/compute/
--
Chiradeep

Re: Google Compute Engine API front-end to CloudStack

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@jclouds.org>.
I can see two sides to this:

1.  it is a distraction:
   GCE  especially an inexperienced api, when we know all new apis
change (v1beta12 anyone?) While fun, it implies coding to another spec
outside our control (ala) EC2, and implies setting up an OAUTH 2
layer.  esp as the current EC2 api isn't 100% yet, nor one's ability
to easily build or run it, I can see adding another api layer as a
distraction and involve maintenance while GCE grows up.
2. field of dreams.. if we build it, they will come!
  Actually I don't buy into this at all, but maybe somebody has
evidence of this ever working out.

-A

Posted by David Chamard <da...@cloud.ca>.

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by George Reese <ge...@enstratus.com>.
One has an AWS API to take advantage of the AWS ecosystem. No Google
ecosystem exists.

Sent from my iPhone