Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com> on 2001/11/26 09:37:50 UTC

A correction regarding authorship of Logger (was: unsubscribing for now)

> From: Peter Donald [mailto:peter@apache.org]
>
> On Mon, 26 Nov 2001 18:24, Leo Sutic wrote:
> >
> > I'd say IoC promotes flexibility like nothing else I've ever
> seen. As far
> > as the logging discussions go, I say Berin *restored* IoC in logging by
>
> who did that ? ;)

Argh. Sorry. Berin made the initial announcement (http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=avalon-dev&m=100447702127516&w=2) and (http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=avalon-dev&m=100454476023586&w=2), so I guess I just attached his name to that API in my mind. But in Logger.java there is indeed a

    @author <a href="mailto:peter@apache.org">Peter Donald</a>

Sorry about that.

> For small projects it easier to
> hardwire bits together - as long as you know that the small project will
> never grow ;)

Well, I see it as a choice of what granularity you select for a "Component". For small projects, maybe there is nothing worth turning into a component, for larger, there definitely is. However, even for small projects I find it worth to use IoC - but then again, the types of projects we work on may be substantially different.

Of course small projects never grow. I keep hearing about this mythical "feature request" but I have never seen one myself. :)

/LS

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 26 Nov 2001 19:37, Leo Sutic wrote:
> > From: Peter Donald [mailto:peter@apache.org]
> >
> > On Mon, 26 Nov 2001 18:24, Leo Sutic wrote:
> > > I'd say IoC promotes flexibility like nothing else I've ever
> >
> > seen. As far
> >
> > > as the logging discussions go, I say Berin *restored* IoC in logging by
> >
> > who did that ? ;)
>
> Argh. Sorry. Berin made the initial announcement
> (http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=avalon-dev&m=100447702127516&w=2) and
> (http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=avalon-dev&m=100454476023586&w=2), so I
> guess I just attached his name to that API in my mind. But in Logger.java
> there is indeed a
>
>     @author <a href="mailto:peter@apache.org">Peter Donald</a>
>
> Sorry about that.

;) ;) Don't worry, ego is a bad thing - besides Berin did all the work
anyways ;)

> > For small projects it easier to
> > hardwire bits together - as long as you know that the small project will
> > never grow ;)
>
> Well, I see it as a choice of what granularity you select for a
> "Component". For small projects, maybe there is nothing worth turning into
> a component, for larger, there definitely is. However, even for small
> projects I find it worth to use IoC - but then again, the types of projects
> we work on may be substantially different.

Well I am a big fan of scripting and often these small apps I would have
previously made using tcl/perl/python but can't because java has massive
startup times.

Often these small apps will spawn little components or at least utility code
off in time as I go back and thing - ooh I really need to use X again.
Actually the cli utilities in excalibur grew from such a case about 4 years
ago.

> Of course small projects never grow. I keep hearing about this mythical
> "feature request" but I have never seen one myself. :)

;)

--
Cheers,

Pete