Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Ishan Jayawardena <ud...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/04 18:21:20 UTC

implementing a paser and evaluator for schema component designators

Hi,
I'm planning to work on a parser and evaluator for schema component
designators which I adapted from last year's GSoC ideas and I learned
that it hasn't been implemented yet. What I expect is to develop that
project step by step and I'm anticipating your comments on it.
If anyone of you have any concern, let me know.
Also I would like to know what existing classes, etc from the existing
xerces code base can be used to implement these parser and evaluator.

Re: implementing a paser and evaluator for schema component designators

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Ishan,

Welcome to the mailing list and thanks for considering Xerces for GSoC this
year.

Your interest in this project is very timely. The specification just
reached Candidate Recommendation [1] last month with the W3C inviting [2]
the community to start implementing it. A SCD parser and evaluator will
make it easier for users to navigate an XSModel, dramatically reducing the
amount of code they need to write to retrieve specific schema components.

Though somewhat different from this project you might find some inspiration
from the XPath 2.0 support [3][4] that was implemented for XML Schema 1.1.
I believe Hiranya used JavaCC [5] to generate the XPath parser and think
that might also work for SCD so would be worth having a look at this tool.
For the evaluator you're going to need to have a good understanding of the
XML Schema API [6] and how to navigate an XSModel. There are samples around
which show how to use it. The one [7] that Mukul has been writing lately
might be educational for you.

Thanks again for you interest and looking forward to hearing more about
your proposal.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/CR-xmlschema-ref-20100119/
[2] http://www.w3.org/News/2010#entry-8703
[3] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/XERCESJ-1320