Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Barclay Curtis <ba...@nexusmedia.com> on 2006/09/25 13:38:10 UTC

Dev Environment Setup can't find WEB-INF/lib

Hi,

I am a tomcat newbie, and have the task of setting up a development
environment in Tomcat.
I have a site which is up and running on the live server, but I can't
get it to work in the development environment.

I have the latest version, Apache Tomcat 5.5.17, and have set it up to
use /home/myUser/myWebapps/ as the webapps dir.

It seems to be working as it displays a small amount of the site.
However it is dying part way through of NoClassDefFoundError:
org/apache/xpath/XPathException.
The correct classes are all there in the WEB-INF/lib folder, and it is
using them with no problem on the live server.

Does anyone know why it won't find the libraries?

I've been searching around, and its quite a common problem, but none of
the solutions I've found work for me.

Thanks
Barclay
This message (and any [associated] attached files) is intended only for the use of the individual or
entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential, subject to copyright or constitutes a trade secret. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination, copying or distribution of this message, or files associated with this message, or the use of any information contained either in the email or in the attachment is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it, and any attachment, from your computer. Messages sent to and from us may be monitored by us.

Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. Therefore, we do not accept responsibility of any kind or nature for any errors or omissions that are present in this message, or any attachment, that have arisen as a result of e-mail transmission.  Neither will be responsible for any viruses or other file that is capable of altering, corrupting or otherwise changing files or computer software on your computer system. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company Nexus Media Communications.

Re: Dev Environment Setup can't find WEB-INF/lib

Posted by Barclay Curtis <ba...@nexusmedia.com>.
Hi,
Does anybody have any other ideas on what the problem could be?
I've been trying to figure it out for days now.
My brain is starting to short circuit!!

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
Barclay

Barclay Curtis wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> 3. A class instance loaded from the common class loader or shared
>> class loader won't be able to see the classes in your local webapp.
>> If the class that needs it is in common/* or shared/*, then the jar
>> containing the exception should be in the same place.
>>
>> It may be a common problem, but the solutions are usually fairly
>> simple -- verify where XPathException is and that tomcat has access
>> to it.
>>
>> --David
>>
>> Barclay Curtis wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am a tomcat newbie, and have the task of setting up a development
>>> environment in Tomcat.
>>> I have a site which is up and running on the live server, but I
>>> can't get it to work in the development environment.
>>>
>>> I have the latest version, Apache Tomcat 5.5.17, and have set it up
>>> to use /home/myUser/myWebapps/ as the webapps dir.
>>>
>>> It seems to be working as it displays a small amount of the site.
>>> However it is dying part way through of NoClassDefFoundError:
>>> org/apache/xpath/XPathException.
>>> The correct classes are all there in the WEB-INF/lib folder, and it
>>> is using them with no problem on the live server.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know why it won't find the libraries?
>>>
>>> I've been searching around, and its quite a common problem, but none
>>> of the solutions I've found work for me.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Barclay
>>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> This message (and any [associated] attached files) is intended only
>>> for the use of the individual or
>>> entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is
>>> confidential, subject to copyright or constitutes a trade secret. If
>>> you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any
>>> dissemination, copying or distribution of this message, or files
>>> associated with this message, or the use of any information
>>> contained either in the email or in the attachment is strictly
>>> prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please
>>> notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it,
>>> and any attachment, from your computer. Messages sent to and from us
>>> may be monitored by us.
>>>
>>> Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be secure or
>>> error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost,
>>> destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. Therefore,
>>> we do not accept responsibility of any kind or nature for any errors
>>> or omissions that are present in this message, or any attachment,
>>> that have arisen as a result of e-mail transmission.  Neither will
>>> be responsible for any viruses or other file that is capable of
>>> altering, corrupting or otherwise changing files or computer
>>> software on your computer system. Any views or opinions presented
>>> are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent
>>> those of the company Nexus Media Communications.

Barclay Curtis
Chief Software Architect

Nexus Media Communications Ltd
Media House, Azalea Drive, Swanley, Kent BR8 8HY
+44 (0) 1322 611460
www.nexusmedia.co.uk

Posted by Barclay Curtis <ba...@nexusmedia.com>.
Thanks David,

[...]

        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.
Some initial thoughts:

Posted by Barclay Curtis <ba...@nexusmedia.com>.
In my server.xml as below.
So I should be able to see the site on testsite.mydomain.co.uk:4001. It
renders part of the page but has the NoClassDefFoundError:
org/apache/xpath/XPathException in the error log.

<Server port="8005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN">

 <GlobalNamingResources>
<Resource name="jdbc/DbConn"
          auth="Container"
          type="javax.sql.DataSource"
          driverClassName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
          factory="org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory"
          url="jdbc:mysql://localhost/myDB"
          username="myUsername"
          password="myPword"
          maxActive="20"
          maxIdle="10"
          maxWait="-1" />
  </GlobalNamingResources>

  <Service name="Tomcat-Standalone">
               enableLookups="false" acceptCount="100"
               connectionTimeout="20000" disableUploadTimeout="true"
                defaultHost="testsite.mydomain.co.uk" />
    <Engine name="Standalone" defaultHost="testsite.mydomain.co.uk"
debug="0">
     <Host name="testsite.mydomain.co.uk"
         appBase="/home/myUser/myWebapps/" unpackWARs="false"
         autoDeploy="true">
       <Context path="" docBase="testsite/web/" debug="0"> </Context>
     </Host>
    </Engine>
  </Service>
</Server>