Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Jaydeep Chovatia <ch...@gmail.com> on 2015/09/22 00:07:09 UTC

High read latency

Hi,

My application issues more read requests than write, I do see that under
load cfstats for one of the table is quite high around 43ms

                Local read count: 114479357
                Local read latency: 43.442 ms
                Local write count: 22288868
                Local write latency: 0.609 ms

Here is my node configuration:
RF=3, Read/Write with QUORUM, 64GB RAM, 48 CPU core. I have only 5 GB of
data on each node (and for experiment purpose I stored data in tmpfs)

I've tried increasing concurrent_read count upto 512 but no help in read
latency. CPU/Memory/IO looks fine on system.

Any idea what should I tune?

Jaydeep

Re: High read latency

Posted by "Laing, Michael" <mi...@nytimes.com>.
Maybe compaction not keeping up - since you are hitting so many sstables?

Read heavy... are you using LCS?

Plenty of resources... tune to increase memtable size?

Re: High read latency

Posted by Jonathan Haddad <jo...@jonhaddad.com>.
1. Is it consistently taking that long?
2. Have you traced the requests?
3. Are you watching your GC history?
4. What's the load on the machine?  Does dstat show high CPU or disk
utilization?

I did a webinar about a year ago on how to dig into these issues, you may
find it useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B_w6YDYSwA

Re: High read latency

Posted by Jaydeep Chovatia <ch...@gmail.com>.

Re: High read latency

Posted by Eric Stevens <mi...@gmail.com>.

Re: High read latency

Posted by Jaydeep Chovatia <ch...@gmail.com>.

Re: High read latency

Posted by Ryan Svihla <rs...@foundev.pro>.

Re: High read latency

Posted by Jaydeep Chovatia <ch...@gmail.com>.

Re: High read latency

Posted by Ryan Svihla <rs...@foundev.pro>.
if you run:

Re: High read latency

Posted by sai krishnam raju potturi <ps...@gmail.com>.

RE: High read latency

Posted by Leleu Eric <Er...@worldline.com>.
For read  heavy workload,  JVM GC can cause latency issue. (see http://tech.shift.com/post/74311817513/cassandra-tuning-the-jvm-for-read-heavy-workloads)
If you have frequent minor GC taking 400ms, it may increase your read latency.

Eric

Re: High read latency

Posted by Jaydeep Chovatia <ch...@gmail.com>.

Re: High read latency