Posted to hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com> on 2011/03/29 06:39:59 UTC

VOTE: Committing HADOOP-6949 to 0.22 branch

HADOOP-6949 introduced a very important optimization to the RPC layer. Based
on the benchmarks presented in HDFS-1583 this provides an order of magnitude
improvement of current RPC implementation.
RPC is a common component of Hadoop projects. Many of them should benefit
from this change. But since this is an incompatible change it requires a
vote to be included into a previous branch.
Please vote for inclusion of this change into branch 0.22.

+1 from me.

Thanks,
--Konstantin

Re: VOTE: Committing HADOOP-6949 to 0.22 branch

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.
Nigel,
The nature of incompatibility is that the RPC version is changing, which
means
VersionedProtocol-s become incompatible all at once. As opposed to say
only DatanodeProtocol or mr.ClientProtocol.

Doug is right because of our strict requirements for protocol compatibility
this
will not affect users upgrading to 0.22.

Matt, thanks for checking and testing.

--Konstantin

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.
Nigel,

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.
Nigel,

Posted by Jakob Homan <jg...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Jakob Homan <jg...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Jakob Homan <jg...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Amit Sangroya <sa...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Stephen Boesch <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
+1

-steve

Re: VOTE: Committing HADOOP-6949 to 0.22 branch

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.
+1