Posted to user@struts.apache.org by K Rajesh <ra...@gmail.com> on 2005/05/21 11:39:15 UTC

Re: Design problem

i have done only one struts application. but the below action tag, i
can't understand......... could you anybody give me some code to let
me know about the parameter="show" attribute

Rj

Re: Design problem

Posted by Dakota Jack <da...@gmail.com>.
The <action> tag populates your ActionMapping.  The ActionMapping
class as getParameter() and setParameter(String parameter) methods.
If you set the parameter in the <action> tag to "show", then the value
of the private String parameter; field in the Action Mapping will be
"show" so that in the action when you use mapping.getParameter() it
will return "show".  It is that simple, but you can do lots with it.

~Dakota Jack~

Re: Design problem

Posted by Erik Weber <er...@mindspring.com>.
The "parameter" attribute can have whatever value you want and be used
however you want. I use it as a poor man's dispatch action.

For example, you have an actor called a "customer". The customer can log
on and perform some actions with regard to his details. Let's say one
action is to view, another is to edit. Since much of the logic could be
shared between these two actions, you might want to use the same Struts
Action class and ActionForm class to handle both actions.

So you might have two mappings that use the same Action, say,
"/customer/viewDetails" and "/customer/editDetails". They are both
mapped to the same name (ActionForm) and type (Action), but you can use
parameter to distinguish, by setting it to "view" in one mapping and
"edit" in the other. Your execute method can now switch on
mapping.getParameter.

Since (as far as I know) the value can be whatever you want, you could
probably come up with other ways to use it as well.

Erik