Posted to dev@vcl.apache.org by Karuna P Joshi <kj...@umbc.edu> on 2012/05/01 18:16:10 UTC

Cloud Broker tool for VCL

Hello,

I have created a new issue under the VCL project for developing a cloud
broker tool for VCL. This goal of this tool is to enable VCL users to
specify their requirements via policies. For instance, they can specify
their security needs, their software needs etc. using a web interface. The
broker tool will discover the VCL image that best matches these policies. The
users (or broker tool ) can then issue a reservation for that particular
image. This feature will be very useful for instances where the VCL user is
not sure which VCL image will best match their needs.
I have attached slides that explain our methodology for cloud service
lifecycle.
I have also included a high level architecture diagram of the tool and look
forward to any feedback on the design.

regards,
Karuna
____________________
Karuna Pande Joshi
PhD Candidate,
CSEE Dept, UMBC
kjoshi1@umbc.edu,  Karuna.Joshi@umbc.edu

Re: Cloud Broker tool for VCL

Posted by Karuna P Joshi <kj...@umbc.edu>.
Andy,

What features/tags are already associated with the VCL images apart from
their name ?

regards,
Karuna

Re: Cloud Broker tool for VCL

Posted by Karuna P Joshi <kj...@umbc.edu>.
Hi Andy,

Re: Cloud Broker tool for VCL

Posted by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>.

Re: Cloud Broker tool for VCL

Posted by Karuna P Joshi <kj...@umbc.edu>.
Hello Mark,

I agree with the goal that you have articulated. The scope of the tool will
be to query across the various image attributes (like software installed,
OS supported, provider, security policies etc.)  and then provide the user
with the best option(s) that s/he can select from.
I am currently identifying all the policies that can be associated with a
Image, specially aligning them with NIST's cloud computing policies and
will share the list for feedback once it's ready.

regards,
Karuna

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 12:38 PM, Mark Gardner <mk...@vt.edu> wrote:

> Karuna,
>
> I think this is a great idea.
>
> I wonder if the idea should be broadened a bit though. Right now, the
> only thing that distinguishes one image from another is the name. We
> should provide some kind of mechanism in which the user can query and
> receive suggestions as to which image should be used. In your use
> case, the query parameters would relate to selecting which cloud
> provider to use. In another case, it may be querying which software is
> installed in an image. There are undoubtedly other types of queries
> that are desirable as well. (The NC State folks probably have some
> suggestions since their image list is quite long.)
>
> The goal would be to make it easier for someone to select an
> appropriate image even when they don't know much about the images. A
> general mechanism should allow your use case to be served as well as
> others we have yet to define.
>
> Mark
>
> --
> Mark Gardner