Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Christoph Caks <cc...@bestsolution.at> on 2009/07/30 10:47:09 UTC

Re: svn --non-interactive preventing gnome-keyring access

Christoph Caks wrote:
> Neels J Hofmeyr wrote:
>> Christoph Caks wrote:
>>> I will try 1.6.2 and the trunk version and report back later. This may take a
>>> while, since i have a lot of work.
>>>
>>> greets,
>>> Christoph
>> I just like to note: your efforts in clarifying the error are much appreciated.
>>
>> Alternatively, you could send a script that reproduces the issue, and others
>> can test for it.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> ~Neels
>>

> I'm going to test it in the next days with 1.6.2 - unfortunatly i cannot test it
> with trunk.
>
> Also i have a bit of information i forgot to provide: I'm using Mandriva Linux
> and my subversion is the package that comes with the distribution with a minor
> modification: we added the --with-gnome-keyring configuration switch and the
> additional dependencies to the rpm source package
> (subversion-1.6.1-1mdv2009.1.src.rpm).
>
> The mandriva devel tree holds an 1.6.2 package, which we will try in the next
> days (by reconfiguring it to support the keyring)
>
> I think mandriva applies some patches before they compile the package. Therefore
> it would be interesting if sombody with unmodified source code could reproduce
> this problem.
>
> greets
> Christoph

Hi,
its been a long time and i had no time to spend on this issue.

i just tried it again with
svn, version 1.6.3 (r38063)
   compiled Jul 30 2009, 11:40:33

and i'm still experiencing the same problem:

when using svn --non-interactive it is not able authenticate with the server

my test steps:

$ svn up
( gnome keyring asks for password because it its the first time today ) - i provide the password
svn makes its update

$ svn --non-interactive up
- -> authentication error from the server

greets
Christoph

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=2376893

Re: svn --non-interactive preventing gnome-keyring access

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
Senthil Kumaran S wrote:
> Christoph Caks wrote:
>> its been a long time and i had no time to spend on this issue.
>>
>> i just tried it again with
>> svn, version 1.6.3 (r38063)
>>    compiled Jul 30 2009, 11:40:33
>>
>> and i'm still experiencing the same problem:
>>
>> when using svn --non-interactive it is not able authenticate with the server
>
> Can you try with subversion trunk? It was fixed via "r38222, r38223, r38261"
> and proposed for backport in 1.6.x branch, so we may get it released in 1.6.4.

STOP!  DON'T DO THAT!

Or at least, don't do it ignorantly.  Subversion's trunk code will not work
against any 1.6-era working copies without performing an irreversible
transformation on them (which, in my experience, doesn't even work all the
time, resulting in a completely broken working copy).  The performance of
trunk's code is atrocious, too.  And then there are the standard list of
warnings about running bleeding edge code.

If you're cool with all of that, and wish to help us verify this bugfix,
that's great -- carry on.  Otherwise, I'd suggest that you:

1. build Subversion 1.6.x yourself (by checking out the ^/branches/1.6.x branch)
2. verify your problem with the client that results from your build
3. merge the changes Senthil mentions above (`svn merge ^/trunk
-c38222,38223,38261') into your branch working copy; rebuild.
4. verify that your problem goes away with the client that results from your
second build.

--
C. Michael Pilato <cm...@collab.net>

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=2376957

Re: svn --non-interactive preventing gnome-keyring access

Posted by Senthil Kumaran S <se...@collab.net>.
Christoph Caks wrote:
> its been a long time and i had no time to spend on this issue.
>
> i just tried it again with
> svn, version 1.6.3 (r38063)
>    compiled Jul 30 2009, 11:40:33
>
> and i'm still experiencing the same problem:
>
> when using svn --non-interactive it is not able authenticate with the server

Can you try with subversion trunk? It was fixed via "r38222, r38223, r38261"
and proposed for backport in 1.6.x branch, so we may get it released in 1.6.4.

Thank You.
--
Senthil Kumaran S
http://www.stylesen.org/