Posted to users@airflow.apache.org by Anthony Joyce <an...@omicronmedia.com> on 2022/05/04 14:45:07 UTC

Airflow db upgrade hangs

Hi all-

I just upgraded to Airflow 2.3.0 from 2.2.5 and `airflow db upgrade` does not work and hangs for hours and hours. No log output is written like in the past so I do not have much to go on.

$ airflow db upgrade
DB: postgresql+psycopg2://airflow@localhost:5432/airflow
Performing upgrade with database postgresql+psycopg2://airflow@localhost:5432/airflow

It just hangs and hangs. I am using Postgres 14 and had very few, if no issues on Airflow 2.2.5. All packages are updated, firewall is set as appropriate and I am using LocalExecutor.

Has anyone come across an issue like this recently?

Thanks!

Anthony

Re: Airflow db upgrade hangs

Posted by Jed Cunningham <je...@apache.org>.
Excellent! I'm so happy to hear that 🎉

I'm "@Jed Cunningham" on Slack.

Re: Airflow db upgrade hangs

Posted by Anthony Joyce <an...@omicronmedia.com>.
Hi Jed-

This worked wonderfully! It took a few minutes for the upgrade, but nothing like it was before (I let it go 8 hours and it never finished!).

What is your Slack username?

Anthony

On May 4, 2022, at 11:11 AM, Jed Cunningham <je...@apache.org>> wrote:

You don't often get email from jedcunningham@apache.org<ma...@apache.org>. Learn why this is important<https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification>
Thanks! Much appreciated. It could either be "fast" (a few minutes) or still slow but eventually finish, and I'm really curious to know where you land.

I'd also be curious to know how many rows you have in dag_run, task_instance, and rendered_task_instance_fields, if you don't mind sharing (over Slack is fine as well if you'd rather DM me).

Re: Airflow db upgrade hangs

Re: Airflow db upgrade hangs

Posted by Anthony Joyce <an...@omicronmedia.com>.
Sure, I’ll do that and report back.

Thanks for the heads up Jed.

Anthony

On May 4, 2022, at 10:50 AM, Jed Cunningham <je...@apache.org>> wrote:

You don't often get email from jedcunningham@apache.org<ma...@apache.org>. Learn why this is important<https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification>
Hey Anthony,

We discovered recently that one of the pre-upgrade checks didn't perform very well. It was fixed in https://github.com/apache/airflow/pull/23458.

Could you try with that patch applied in your environment and report back?

Thanks,
Jed

Re: Airflow db upgrade hangs