Posted to user@zookeeper.apache.org by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org> on 2018/04/04 19:50:42 UTC

Is the current max packet length available via the API?

Is it possible to get the current max packet length from the API?
(version 3.4.x)

If not, I'm guessing that I need to look for the jute.maxbuffer system
property and fallback to ZkClientConfig.CLIENT_MAX_PACKET_LENGTH_DEFAULT
if it's not defined.

What I'm trying to do is log a useful error message in Solr if somebody
tries to upload a file that's too big for what's allowed.  The error
that they get currently is not helpful, and figuring out what went wrong
seems to require looking at the server log.

Side note:  I can see in current code (and the 3.5.2 programmer's guide)
that the default max packet length is 4MB, but the administrators guide
(even the 3.5.3 version) still says 1MB.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Is the current max packet length available via the API?

Posted by Andor Molnar <an...@cloudera.com>.
Martin's instructions about JMX are pretty much accurate. JMX is a standard
Java protocol to retrieve metrics and interact with a running application.
I'm sure you can find plenty of information on the internet and existing
client libraries to retrieve data.

ZooKeeper's admin documentation also gives you information about JMX
support in ZK: http://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/r3.4.11/zookeeperJMX.html

That's the only I'm aware of to ask ZK about current jute.maxbuffer
setting. I don't think there's support for that in ZK cli at the moment.

Jute buffer must have enough room to contain the entire packet which sent
over the network (in other words, the payload of TCP packet). So yes, you
should subtract the size of the header (2x int) and the length of path.
(this is just off the top of my head and refers to create request only, you
should verify it)

The const CLIENT_MAX_PACKET_LENGTH_DEFAULT is 3.5 only, but apart from
that, the default is 4MB in 3.4 too.

Error messages are "len error" for server-server and "Packet len" for
client-server communication.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Andor

Posted by Andor Molnar <an...@cloudera.com>.
If the ZK client is part of your application, you can probably read the
jute.maxbuffer setting.

However on the server side - as you mentioned - the setting should be
consistent with the client. I believe it would make sense to expose the
effective jute maxbuffer size via the "conf" 4lw command if that's any help
to you.

Would you like to contribute and submit a pull request for that on the
master branch?

Regards,
Andor

Posted by Shawn Heisey <el...@elyograg.org>.