Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Mattias Carenhed <ma...@carenhed.com> on 2011/05/27 22:33:06 UTC

How to turn on the DNS service in 1.5.7?

Hi!

I'm currently taking a look at Apache DS in order to find out if it's
suitable for our need.
The main reason Apache DS appeared to be interesting was the build in
DNS (today we use OpenLDAP together with some custom scripts to sync
entries from LDAP to our DNS)

However, I'm not been able to turn the DNS server on?

Shouldn't it be enough to uncomment this line in server.xml
  <dnsServer>
    <transports>
      <tcpTransport port="53"/>
      <udpTransport port="53"/>
    </transports>
    <directoryService>#directoryService</directoryService>
  </dnsServer>

I've read the old posts that one guy made it work in 1.5.1 and I tried
that version and there it was trivial to start the DNS.

(I'm using netstat to figure out whether something listens to port 53 or not)

I've also read that in verion 1.5.5(?) there was an issue that
prevented all other protocols that LDAP to start, is this issue still
present in version 1.5.7?

Thanks for any help!

---
Best regards Mattias Carenhed