Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/22 08:28:54 UTC

[PROPOSAL] *LET'S ABANDON 4.4*

I had no vote's on the last release candidate. I move we abandon
releasing 4.4 or stop releasing at all.

+1 if you are in favor of not releasing
0 if you are in favor of just not releasing 4.4
-1 if you are very sorry you didn't vote, will better your life and
volunteer to be the next RM

kind regards,
--
Daan

Re: [PROPOSAL] *LET'S ABANDON 4.4*

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Hi,

Apologies for not getting much involved with 4.4, I had zero time to test anything, so couldn't vote blindly.

Having said that, -1 on abandoning, getting 4.4 out of the door, even if it's crappy, will get more people interested to test it which will hopefully lead to a great 4.4.1.

I hope things will pick up as summer comes to an end.

Nux!
www.nux.ro

RE: [PROPOSAL] *LET'S ABANDON 4.4*

Posted by Donal Lafferty <do...@citrix.com>.
For completeness, the original email:  http://markmail.org/message/3yknkjr2gnvfcqxb

Re: [PROPOSAL] *LET'S ABANDON 4.4*

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
On Jul 22, 2014, at 9:45 AM, Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sebastien, this is not about git. And the last RC did not get any
> vote. It got one problem reported which turned out to be a user error.
> I repeat: No vote at all.

If you think that's the problem, then you keep the VOTE open until you get enough votes to make a decision. Nothing mandates us to close a vote, you can keep it open.

Then as RM you go and find the votes

-sebastien

Re: [PROPOSAL] *LET'S ABANDON 4.4*

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

--
Daan

Re: [PROPOSAL] *LET'S ABANDON 4.4*

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
-1 on abandoning 4.4

RE: [PROPOSAL] *LET'S ABANDON 4.4*

Posted by Donal Lafferty <do...@citrix.com>.

Re: [PROPOSAL] *LET'S ABANDON 4.4*

Posted by Pierre-Luc Dion <pd...@cloudops.com>.
-1 (here is my vote for this thread :-P)

Shouldn't we improve release management process instead? Look like
releasing 4.4 is a huge pain, I guest it shouldn't be that way.

Could we have a discussion session regarding Release management at the next
CCCEU14? There was one at Denver and I think the discussion need to append
again...

What is remaining to do to release 4.4?

Personally I wouldn't vote without a minimum of tests against an RC.

*Pierre-Luc DION*
t 855.652.5683

*CloudOps* Votre partenaire infonuagique* | *Cloud Solutions Experts
w cloudops.com *|* tw @CloudOps_

Re: [PROPOSAL] *LET'S ABANDON 4.4*

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.

Re: [PROPOSAL] *LET'S ABANDON 4.4*

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

RE: [PROPOSAL] *LET'S ABANDON 4.4*

Posted by Santhosh Edukulla <sa...@citrix.com>.
Even, i agree, the effort from people adding features, fixes and others like RM should not go in vain, and not set something as a wrong precedent of abandoning a release.

Regards,
Santhosh
On 07/22/2014 08:28 AM, Daan Hoogland wrote:
> I had no vote's on the last release candidate. I move we abandon
> releasing 4.4 or stop releasing at all.

So this is not a good thing. Honestly, yes, I didn't vote, I'm truly
sorry for that, but didn't I see other votes come along?

For me personally it's just a matter of time. I only want to vote when I
got enough time to actually test it and I simply didn't, so I did not vote.

Re: [PROPOSAL] *LET'S ABANDON 4.4*

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.

Re: [PROPOSAL] *LET'S ABANDON 4.4*

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.