Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Joel Saunders <Jo...@zones.com> on 2019/01/08 17:01:04 UTC

Proper way to set up tomcat 8.5 (autostart and service setup)

All,

I just installed Tomcat 8.5 on RedHat.

The previous tomcat6 install was setup so that I could use the linux service command to start and stop.
              I'd like to take that feature away from the tomcat6 install and add it for the new tomcat85 install.

I'd also like for tomcat85 to be able to autostart upon reboots.

Lastly, I'd like the logs to go to /var/log/tomcat8 if possible.

Can anyone point me to the correct way to accomplish these requirements?

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

... Joel

JOEL SAUNDERS

SR. DBA/ARCHITECT, MANAGED SERVICES | Zones, Inc.
W: 518-652-4089| C: 518-265-0771
joel.saunders@zones.com<ma...@zones.com> | zones.com<https://nfrastructure.com/>

[cid:image001.jpg@01D4A749.D0A5B940]<http://zones.com/>

[cid:image002.jpg@01D4A749.D0A5B940]<https://www.facebook.com/nfrastructure/> [cid:image003.jpg@01D4A749.D0A5B940] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/nfrastructure/>  [cid:image004.jpg@01D4A749.D0A5B940] <https://twitter.com/nfrastructure>  [cid:image005.jpg@01D4A749.D0A5B940] <https://www.youtube.com/user/nfrastructure1992>

Re: Proper way to set up tomcat 8.5 (autostart and service setup)

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Proper way to set up tomcat 8.5 (autostart and service setup)

Posted by Igal Sapir <ig...@lucee.org>.
On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 9:39 AM John Larsen <jo...@javapipe.com> wrote:

> I simply tie systemd with the init script. Our servers host around 20-30
> tomcat instances. I found it easier do it this way.

It's easier for you because you're more familiar with the init scripts, but
tying a modern system into an older one just to make it easy is a hack IMO,
and while it can be OK under some circumstances when maintaining an older
system, I would advise strongly against that when setting up a new system.

Igal

Posted by John Dale <jc...@gmail.com>.
Not having an issue, but if I upgrade I will it seems .. booooo!

init.d is so engraved in my neural patterns it will be a shame to have
such a useless deep groove.

I hate the names, too .. that's what happens when you give marketing
people too much leash.  Not only do they seem to forget how to math,
they forget how to number.

:)

Posted by Joel Saunders <Jo...@zones.com>.
Unfortunately, I inherited this system from someone who hacked it together before he left, so I'm just trying to use a quick/minimal approach.

I think that tomcat6 was setup with the init.d approach and would like to keep v8 similar if at all possible.

I'm not bad with scripting and init stuff, but not that strong as a Linux Admin and all of the options available to Linux Admin/developers.

I do appreciate all of your comments though, but I just want something easy to cut and paste at this time so I can be done with this and get back to my other (also demanding) projects.

Thanks,,

Joel

[1] https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__en.wikipedia.org_wiki_Debian-5Fversion-5Fhistory-23Debian-5F7-5F-28Wheezy-29&d=DwIFaQ&c=bFSfV3JDZVFjkVdrOg1Bnsgwku-x_EGNRi2KNxwvClI&r=WG-pl0WpwyPk-r6oNnUhsoAUBdVNpC8ryokTG8RkffA&m=uGtSlmXLamNsmi4gn9t69I5ulozMuYWznu3bdceQS3A&s=2LQygApob8_-Xjdffqqj3RI6PQE_6kvv-DI928BXDYs&e=

Posted by Igal Sapir <ig...@lucee.org>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Proper way to set up tomcat 8.5 (autostart and service setup)

Posted by John Dale <jc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Larsen <jo...@javapipe.com>.

Posted by Igal Sapir <ig...@lucee.org>.

Posted by John Larsen <jo...@javapipe.com>.