Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Eddie B <ed...@mattermedia.com> on 2014/10/28 19:29:29 UTC

[users@httpd] Tracking the reason for graceful restarts

I would like to track what is causing apache to gracefully restart. I
already have a log monitor alert me when "[notice] Graceful restart
requested, doing restart" shows up in the logs.  It is not a log rotation:
it happens at irregular times time through the day, but they are scheduled
for once a week. It also isn't the logs getting rotated due to growing too
large (they logs are well under the maximum size).

I would like to find out who is responsible for the graceful restarts.

(if you are interested in why I need to know that, it's because every time
apache restarts I get these errors:

[emerg] [client xxx.xxx.41.129] (43)Identifier removed: mod_fcgid: can't
lock process table in pid 1325, referer: https://domain.com/, and it causes
problems with my application. The issue is a modfcgid bug which should have
been solved, but it still occurs in modfcgid 2.3.7)