Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by David E Jones <de...@me.com> on 2010/03/11 08:19:58 UTC

Brainstorming about the Framework: Data Tier

If you could change anything about the data tier in OFBiz (basically the Entity Engine), what would you change?

All comments are welcome. If there is another tool you'd like to see used instead of the Entity Engine, please describe what you like about it (like "I want to have an Java class for each table in my database") instead of just mentioning the tool (like "let's use Hibernate!").

Why am I asking? This topic comes up every once in a while, and it's true that many suggestions never get enough support to actually happen (or on further research it is decided that the idea is not tenable), but brainstorming about them to get ideas in the open is still a great thing. The history of OFBiz is full of things like this where users and more casual contributors had ideas and saw possibilities that others, even more involved contributors, totally missed or never looked at that way. What I think would be fun, and ultimately useful too, is to keep this mostly to brainstorming and not do too much comparing of ideas.

BTW, if you want to brainstorm about another tier (ie the Logic or UI tiers) please use the other threads on those. If you'd like to discuss things that aren't specific to a tier look for the "General" thread.

-David

Re: Brainstorming about the Framework: Data Tier

Posted by Nicolas Malin <ma...@librenberry.net>.
Oups,  addons for to generate the persistance is ufo-java-developed

ofbiz-generators contains only generator engine ;)

Nicolas

Posted by Cimballi <ci...@gmail.com>.

<ma...@librenberry.net> wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> Why am I asking? This topic comes up every once in a while, and it's true
>>> that many suggestions never get enough support to actually happen (or on
>>> further research it is decided that the idea is not tenable), but
>>> brainstorming about them to get ideas in the open is still a great thing.
>>> The history of OFBiz is full of things like this where users and more casual
>>> contributors had ideas and saw possibilities that others, even more involved
>>> contributors, totally missed or never looked at that way. What I think would
>>> be fun, and ultimately useful too, is to keep this mostly to brainstorming
>>> and not do too much comparing of ideas.
>>>
>>> BTW, if you want to brainstorm about another tier (ie the Logic or UI
>>> tiers) please use the other threads on those. If you'd like to discuss
>>> things that aren't specific to a tier look for the "General" thread.

JAVA J2EE Freelance
http://cimballi.elance.com/

Re: Brainstorming about the Framework: Data Tier

Posted by Nicolas Malin <ma...@librenberry.net>.

Posted by Cimballi <ci...@gmail.com>.
Hi David !

--
Cimballi
JAVA J2EE Freelance

Re: Brainstorming about the Framework: Data Tier

Posted by "huang.miles@gmail.com" <hu...@gmail.com>.
While reading the sentence "There are many people out there who don't
understand the Entity Engine", I felt a problem implied in it: There are
absolutely much more people "out there", and I'm sure the OFBIZ project
want to attract them in. Why they keep on asking "Hibernate", "Spring",
etc, though? Are they all wrong?

In my opinion, the OFBIZ framework DID do a right thing - to provide
developers an integrated framework. What I mean is in OFBIZ, the
developer can define entity in one place and share the entity definition
across different tiers, form persistence to presentation. This kind of
integration saved developers a lot from typings and preserved
consistency across different application tiers. But, this is not what
Entity Engine itself can provide. All gains come from the integration.
If we simply separate the OFBIZ entity engine into a stand alone ORM
like tool, I bet its not very attractive and only people familiar with
OFBIZ already will use it.

On the other hand, if there are another framework such as Grails that
can provide at least same level of cross tier integration ability, while
leverage the sophisticated and WELL KNOWN technologies (such as
Hibernate/JPA for ORM, Spring for service tier component composition,
Spring MVC for view tier framework). Sounds a little bit attractive than
"home made" every thing, isn't it?

Regards,
Miles.

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
+1 - another thing to add to this list would be the ability to roll back an upgrade or data load so that if issues are found that we can get back, in the system, directly to where we started.  Normally we do this with a staging upgrade first and a db backup second, but having something like this in the system has been requested a few times, so I thought I'd mention it.

Cheers,
Ruppert

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

if anyone once to help.

=========================
BJ Freeman
http://bjfreeman.elance.com
Strategic Power Office with Supplier Automation <http://www.businessesnetwork.com/automation/viewforum.php?f=93>
Specialtymarket.com <http://www.specialtymarket.com/>

Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist

Chat  Y! messenger: bjfr33man
Linkedin

Tim Ruppert sent the following on 3/11/2010 7:27 AM:

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@yahoo.com>.
I believe the possibilities of discussion could advance if you could provide a small example of how data is accessed currently versus how the same data would be accessed with SDO.

-Adrian

Posted by Rodrigo Lima <ac...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Hi Rodrigo:

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.
That's a great overview of what SDO is, kind of like what I've seen in other places.

I'm still wondering though:

1. How does it make your life easier?

2. What would you do with it?

3. What have you run into that was a pain that SDO would make easier?

I guess what I'm getting at is the problem that this would solve. There are tons of solutions out there looking for problems, and I'm not saying that this is one, but in order to really consider this it would be helpful to know what the problem is that it solves or what are your requirements that this fills?

-David

Posted by Rodrigo Lima <ac...@gmail.com>.
David,

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.

Posted by Rodrigo Lima <ac...@gmail.com>.
Hi David,

Posted by Nicolas Malin <ma...@librenberry.net>.
Hi David,

Yes, I remember very well this discussion ;)  .
 From my POV, compilation is good but has some limitations. Interpreting
is also good, and has other limitations. So mixing both, and adding some
good practices is then a very nice way to go.

In neogia, we are using generated java files from entitymodel for
developping java code.
One Entity is then transformed in two classes : EntityBase.java and
EntityService.java. Generated files contains an attributes list, some
getter/setter and functions to get associations. It's a heritage of
GenericValue so we can use as GV or Object oriented method. This make
easier big java service development with ide auto-completion,
simplification to read complexe object as DynamicView and possibility to
switch  in oriented object code and  relational code (to select to best
approch as appropriate)
We also added other functions as edit / remove / beforeStore ... but
they will pass to deprecated because intrepreted language is really
better for that and I prefer use the auto-entity service and seca .

I'm sure we can improve the generators for a better integration with the
OFBiz concept ;)  if the OFBiz community is interested.

Nicolas

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.
Nicolas,

Posted by Nicolas Malin <ma...@librenberry.net>.
-1

[...]

 From our side, it is sure that helping development by generation is not
revolutionizing OFBiz, and should not do it, noone told to replace
entity-engine with hibernate.
Generation is adding a bigger flexibility and a more reliable product.

 From my point of view, OFBiz is more than just an ERP. It is also a

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
+1

Jacques

From: "Ruth Hoffman" <rh...@aesolves.com>

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Sorry Nicolas,

I agree with BJ, I have used both Neogia and OFBiz in many projects  and I far prefer the OFBiz way.
One point I did not like in Neogia (maybe it has changed since I always used a version based on R4.0) is the time it takes to
compile, much longer than OFBiz.
Even if I avoid to use Java as most as possible (thanks to Widgets/Groovy and minlilang), depending on projects you have sometimes
to compile more...
Also when you look for strings you get more redundancy because some things are "duplicated" in Neogia part.
But I'm maybe missing things like autocomplete? Not sure it's worth the other costs, though...

Jacques

From: "BJ Freeman" <bj...@free-man.net>

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
+1

Posted by Vince Clark <vc...@globalera.com>.
BJ - there is an application that uses many of these other tools. It is not open source, but is assembled entirely from open source tools.

http://elasticpath.com/whatweoffer/ecommerce-platform/

It is not exactly like OFBiz. It doesn't attempt to be an entire ERP system. But close enough for comparison here.

Vince Clark
vclark@globalera.com
(303) 493-6723 office
(303) 523-4843 cell

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
been thinking on this. for things Like junits.
it would seem a log file of data changes only that is already in a
format that could be edited and revert changes would be the simplest.

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Hi David: