Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Ivano Luberti <lu...@archicoop.it> on 2010/11/24 10:16:10 UTC

Fwd: Re: JSF vs Tapestry

I forward to the list what a jsf developer has written to me: I'm
working with him on a project where he has to develop the web
application and I'm working on a web service consumed by his web
application.

I had forwarded to him a message by Thiago that was trying to point out
differences between T5 and JSF.
The interesting thing he has to say is about facelets as a way to use
standard XHTML templates inside JSF.
Also the difficulty to use together different component sets is
interesting: reminds me of the issue with different JavaScript
components in T5.

But what really surprises me is the similarity he found between struts
and JSF

Posted by Ivano Luberti <lu...@archicoop.it>.
Noe it works also for me: It seems I have hit a hole , sorry for false
alarm I had tried three times in a span of few minutes before writing
the e-mail.

dott. Ivano Mario Luberti
Sede Operativa
Via Gereschi 36 - 56126- Pisa
tel.: +39-050- 580959
tel/fax: +39-050-9711344
web: www.archicoop.it

Re: JSF vs Tapestry

Posted by Igor Drobiazko <ig...@gmail.com>.
Nope,  it works for me.

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 10:47 AM, Ivano Luberti <lu...@archicoop.it>wrote:

> Oh yes! I can remember about that: but the link is not working, the web
> site seems down
>
> Il 24/11/2010 10.27, Igor Drobiazko ha scritto:
> > Maybe this presentation will be interesting for the jsf developer.
> >

> http://blog.tapestry5.de/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/JSF-2.0-vs-Tapestry-5.pdf
> >
> > On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Ivano Luberti <luberti@archicoop.it
> >wrote:
> >
> >> I forward to the list what a jsf developer has written to me: I'm
> >> working with him on a project where he has to develop the web
> >> application and I'm working on a web service consumed by his web
> >> application.
> >>
> >> I had forwarded to him a message by Thiago that was trying to point out
> >> differences between T5 and JSF.
> >> The interesting thing he has to say is about facelets as a way to use
> >> standard XHTML templates inside JSF.
> >> Also the difficulty to use together different component sets is
> >> interesting: reminds me of the issue with different JavaScript
> >> components in T5.
> >>
> >> But what really surprises me is the similarity he found between struts
> >> and JSF

Best regards,

Igor Drobiazko
http://tapestry5.de

Re: JSF vs Tapestry

Posted by Ivano Luberti <lu...@archicoop.it>.
Oh yes! I can remember about that: but the link is not working, the web
site seems down

Il 24/11/2010 10.27, Igor Drobiazko ha scritto:
> Maybe this presentation will be interesting for the jsf developer.
>
> http://blog.tapestry5.de/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/JSF-2.0-vs-Tapestry-5.pdf
>
> On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Ivano Luberti <lu...@archicoop.it>wrote:
>
>> I forward to the list what a jsf developer has written to me: I'm
>> working with him on a project where he has to develop the web
>> application and I'm working on a web service consumed by his web
>> application.
>>
>> I had forwarded to him a message by Thiago that was trying to point out
>> differences between T5 and JSF.
>> The interesting thing he has to say is about facelets as a way to use
>> standard XHTML templates inside JSF.
>> Also the difficulty to use together different component sets is
>> interesting: reminds me of the issue with different JavaScript
>> components in T5.
>>
>> But what really surprises me is the similarity he found between struts
>> and JSF

dott. Ivano Mario Luberti
Sede Operativa
Via Gereschi 36 - 56126- Pisa
tel.: +39-050- 580959
tel/fax: +39-050-9711344
web: www.archicoop.it

Re: Re: JSF vs Tapestry

Posted by Igor Drobiazko <ig...@gmail.com>.
Maybe this presentation will be interesting for the jsf developer.

http://blog.tapestry5.de/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/JSF-2.0-vs-Tapestry-5.pdf

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Ivano Luberti <lu...@archicoop.it>wrote:

> I forward to the list what a jsf developer has written to me: I'm
> working with him on a project where he has to develop the web
> application and I'm working on a web service consumed by his web
> application.
>
> I had forwarded to him a message by Thiago that was trying to point out
> differences between T5 and JSF.
> The interesting thing he has to say is about facelets as a way to use
> standard XHTML templates inside JSF.
> Also the difficulty to use together different component sets is
> interesting: reminds me of the issue with different JavaScript
> components in T5.
>
> But what really surprises me is the similarity he found between struts
> and JSF

Best regards,

Igor Drobiazko
http://tapestry5.de

Re: Fwd: Re: JSF vs Tapestry

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 07:16:10 -0200, Ivano Luberti <lu...@archicoop.it>
wrote:

> I had forwarded to him a message by Thiago that was trying to point out
> differences between T5 and JSF.
> The interesting thing he has to say is about facelets as a way to use
> standard XHTML templates inside JSF.

Facelets was inspired by the Tapestry 4 template engine. I'm not making
this up, this was explicitly said in the Facelets home page
(https://facelets.dev.java.net/). :) "The web community is eagerly seeking
a framework like Tapestry, backed by JavaServer Faces as the industry
standard."

> Also the difficulty to use together different component sets is
> interesting: reminds me of the issue with different JavaScript
> components in T5.

Are you talking about Tapestry or JSF? JSF has compatibility problems
among implementation and packages, Tapestry doesn't. The
incomplatibilities you're talking about are purely JavaScript ones
(Prototype vs jQuery), not Tapestry related.

> But what really surprises me is the similarity he found between struts
> and JSF

It doesn't surprise me. struts-config.xml (aaaaaaaaaaaaargh) and
faces-config.xml are similar. Both frameworks use navigations rules (which
I consider a faiiled experiment, a solution in search of a problem) and
have the same architect (Craig McClanahan). JSF, to me, looks like a
component-oriented version of Struts.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
and instructor