Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Siamak Sarmady <sa...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/16 06:19:47 UTC

Netbeans plugin

Hello,

I was speaking over email with "Jacek Laskowski" about his netbeans plugin.

For sometimes I have been using Geronimo with Eclipse and I should say
it is much more faster than Glasfish.

I am sure if the netbeans plugin can be offered many of Netbeans
developers will use Geronimo over Glassfish and Tomcat.(and new version
of jboss which used to be offered with NB5.5 is not ready)

Anyway, I wanted to see who is working on the project (besides Jacek)
and what is the status?

I willing to help but I do not know what to do and where to start (I
will try to run the current code available in repository for now)

Regards,
Siamak

Re: Netbeans plugin

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On Nov 27, 2007 11:37 PM, togo <ja...@yahoo.es> wrote:

> To speed up my understanding of the repository I would like to know if
> you've got a small howto of the plugin with basical things like how to
> install and use it and so on.
>
> I also would like to know is you have got a roadmap of the project to know
> what is done and which are the next steeps to investigate.

Okey dokey. I'll do it in the morning. Good night.

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.JacekLaskowski.pl

Re: Netbeans plugin

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On Nov 27, 2007 11:37 PM, togo <ja...@yahoo.es> wrote:

> To speed up my understanding of the repository I would like to know if
> you've got a small howto of the plugin with basical things like how to
> install and use it and so on.

Before I put it on a website (with screenshots), I'll write it here
for your comments and suggestions:

Here are the steps to run the plugin:

1. Check out the plugin's sources - they've got a directory structure
as netbeans created when I created the module (the plugin).

svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/sandbox/geronimo-netbeans-plugin

2. Open NetBeans IDE 6 (don't know whether the earlier versions work or not)

3. Ctrl+Shift+O to open the project. You should see NetBeans plugin
for Apache Geronimo node in the Projects window.

4. Once opened, right-click it and select Install/Reload in Target
Platform. It will run another NetBeans instance with the plugin
installed.

The plugin can create a new Geronimo server instance and start/stop
it. You can create a web application with Geronimo as a javaee5
application server, but if you start it it will not. That's what needs
to be done inthe first place. Once you get that developed I'm sure
you'll know what's next.

Ask when in doubt or need some additional information. I'm here to
help and get you up to speed with it. The more people work on it, the
sooner the plugin becomes ready to use. It took way too long to become
a viable competitor to the Eclipse plugin ;-)

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.JacekLaskowski.pl

Re: Netbeans plugin

Posted by togo <ja...@yahoo.es>.
Hi Jacek,

To speed up my understanding of the repository I would like to know if
you've got a small howto of the plugin with basical things like how to
install and use it and so on.

I also would like to know is you have got a roadmap of the project to know
what is done and which are the next steeps to investigate.

Best regards.
Josu.

Re: Netbeans plugin

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

Re: Netbeans plugin

Posted by togo <ja...@yahoo.es>.
Hi all,

Re: Netbeans plugin

Posted by Siamak Sarmady <sa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Netbeans plugin

Posted by Siamak Sarmady <sa...@gmail.com>.
Jacek, Hello

Re: Netbeans plugin

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

Re: Netbeans plugin

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Nov 16, 2007, at 12:19 AM, Siamak Sarmady wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was speaking over email with "Jacek Laskowski" about his netbeans
> plugin.
>
> For sometimes I have been using Geronimo with Eclipse and I should
> say it is much more faster than Glasfish.
>
> I am sure if the netbeans plugin can be offered many of Netbeans
> developers will use Geronimo over Glassfish and Tomcat.(and new
> version of jboss which used to be offered with NB5.5 is not ready)
>
> Anyway, I wanted to see who is working on the project (besides
> Jacek) and what is the status?
>
> I willing to help but I do not know what to do and where to start (I
> will try to ru

Hi Siamak,
I don't recall seeing anyone but Jacek working on the Netbeans plugin.
I'm sure he'd love to have some help. I think it would be *great* to
have a Neatbeans plugin in addition to our Eclipse plugin.

Perhaps Jacek can fill us in on where things stand with the plugin and
identify next steps.

--kevan