Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Avlesh Singh <av...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/01 05:43:57 UTC

Re: "begins with" searches

> G'day Avlesh, converting the "all" field to type "edgytext" doesn't work as
> expected as the various "text" analysers etc don't get to work on that
> field, so I get less results than expected. And adding the edgy filter into
> the text field also yields less results. I can work around the issue by
> setting up a new "beginswith" edgytext field and using copyfield to copy the
> relevant fields into it.

You are absolutely right. What you think of being a work-around is actually
a solution!

But this approach doesn't really suit our parent application's main search
> screen, which is a single box labelled "quick search". Users will be puzzled
> as to why a search for "beginswith:"Houghton, b"" yields 20 results, while a
> search for "Houghton, b" yields 10. And also puzzled as to why "Houghton,
> b*" won't work. as they expect - people are already familiar with using
> wildcards. A way to get around this user perception problem is to get rid of
> the single search box and set up a series of drop down boxes for type of
> search (begins with, etc), along with field names. We might have to go
> there, but the ideal solution from our perspective would be for users to be
> able to enter terms in the "quick search" box without any field prefix, and
> have solr go off and search all field names/types.

As I said earlier, a field can be analyzed in only ONE way. In your kind of
requirements, multiple searching capabilities are needed for a single query.
Unfortunately, not all of these can be addressed by a single field. The
solution is to create multiple fields set up with different analyzers
(tokenizers and filters) while indexing and searching. At query time an OR
query can be done for all such fields (with a corresponding boost for a
particular field, if desired). Lucene would automatically rank the results
in correct order based on hits across multiple fields.

Hope this helps. And sorry for the delayed response.

Cheers
Avlesh