Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Tony Le Piane <tl...@logisticssoftware.com> on 2007/08/31 16:54:22 UTC

Invalid Date header - Date not RFC 2822

> We have been running our service for almost 5 years and this problem
started
> with this ISP client of yours (TELEBEC) last week after they upgraded
their
> servers to the latest version of SPAMASSASSIN I'm told.   We are now being
> considered spammers.
>

> Firstly I have been told that it is a date problem (Invalid Date - not RFC
> 2822) which no one on their end can seem to give me a straight answer.
Now
> they are telling me to go to the SpamAssassin web-site to determine what
the
> problem is.
>

> When I run my email through
> http://emailcheck.activecampaign.com/index.php  I get the following error
> which seems to be the problem but yet I can't see this anywhere in the
> header or body of my email:    "1.8 INVALID_DATE           Invalid Date:
> header (not RFC 2822)"
>

> My Headers are:

>   (SMTPD-8.22) id AE31015C; Fri, 24 Aug 2007 16:23:13 -0400
>
> To: <su...@logisticssoftware.com>
>
> From: RNS Express <rn...@logisticssoftware.com>
>
> Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 16:19:26 -04
>
> Subject: CCN - 8661019249 Goods Released

> My Body is:

9">*8661019249*</font><br><font
size=2
> face="Courier New,Courier,Mono">Canada Customs Response/Release
Notification
> Time:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;16:07<br>Service Option:&nbsp;257&nbsp;RMD EDI

(Post-Arrival)<br>Transaction:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;90548070083893<br>Carg

Re: Invalid Date header - Date not RFC 2822

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
Tony Le Piane wrote:
>> We have been running our service for almost 5 years and this problem
>>
> started
>
>> with this ISP client of yours (TELEBEC) last week after they upgraded
>>
> their
>
>> servers to the latest version of SPAMASSASSIN I'm told.   We are now being
>> considered spammers.

Note: It would be a mistake to consider TELEBEC one of our clients. They
downloaded our free software and installed it, but we have no other
relationship to them. (ie: they aren't paying us anything, so there's no
commercial relationship here).

As others have said, your headers look fine. Unless there's something
subtle that's covered up by the copy-paste (ie: missing end-of-line), I
think those headers shouldn't match the rule.

Is there any way you can send a message out see what the message looks
like after TELEBEC has processed it? It is possible (albeit unlikely)
they're doing something that ends up mangling the Date header.. This
would also give you the X-Spam-Status, which would tell us ALL of the
rules spamassassin hit, and tell us what exact version of spamassassin
they are using.