Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Dave <sn...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/31 21:08:12 UTC

Re: svn commit: r561131 - in /roller/trunk/apps/weblogger: src/java/org/apache/roller/weblogger/config/ src/java/org/apache/roller/weblogger/pojos/ src/java/org/apache/roller/weblogger/ui/struts2/editor/ src/java/org/apache/roller/weblogger/util/ web

On 7/31/07, Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com> wrote:
> I hate to spend more time on this because I know we both just want
> things to be finished, but I think we can do better for the fix for
> ROL-1487 (permalink on entry edit page).
>
> I know you made it optional, which is nice since I am not a fan of
> having that link there, but I think that's a little bit silly.  I'm sure
> we can figure out a better way to deal with this than making it a
> configuration choice, which really is not something that I think users
> really care to have control over.

You are right, I don't want to spend more time on this. We didn't
discuss removing the link from the page and if we had I would have
voted -1 because I find it very useful to have to link prominently and
conveniently displayed, not tucked away at the bottom of the page. I
use Roller daily and I use that link every time I draft and post
because I care what the URL and anchor looks like, use it to
cut-and-paste the URL, etc.

If you dislike the URL you now have the ability to turn it off and I
don't think any other changes are necessary.

- Dave

Posted by Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com>.

Dave wrote:
> On 7/31/07, Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com> wrote:
>> I hate to spend more time on this because I know we both just want
>> things to be finished, but I think we can do better for the fix for
>> ROL-1487 (permalink on entry edit page).
>>
>> I know you made it optional, which is nice since I am not a fan of
>> having that link there, but I think that's a little bit silly.  I'm sure
>> we can figure out a better way to deal with this than making it a
>> configuration choice, which really is not something that I think users
>> really care to have control over.
>
> You are right, I don't want to spend more time on this. We didn't
> discuss removing the link from the page and if we had I would have
> voted -1 because I find it very useful to have to link prominently and
> conveniently displayed, not tucked away at the bottom of the page. I
> use Roller daily and I use that link every time I draft and post
> because I care what the URL and anchor looks like, use it to
> cut-and-paste the URL, etc.

That's fine, I know that you use Roller daily, but I'm not sure how that
has a bearing on the decision.  Thousands of people use Roller on a
regular basis and most of them probably don't use it the same way you
do, especially considering that you are an engineer *and* the author of
the software.

My only goal is to make the decision based on what is best for the
common case and for the common users and IMO what we are talking about
here (knowledge and control of the entry url) is an advanced feature.

> If you dislike the URL you now have the ability to turn it off and I
> don't think any other changes are necessary.

I suppose, but I still find that to be a disappointing workaround, and
not really a solution.

-- Allen