Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Manolis Mavrikis <ma...@maths.ed.ac.uk> on 2002/08/17 16:01:39 UTC

multiple files - users (SOS) (fwd)

Hi all,

 I guess this must have been covered earlier in the past bt I am rather new to
log4j and I am quite stuck for th emoment running out of time for a deadline.

 I am doing a research project on educational web environments and the system I
work in uses tomcat4 and I want to be able to log students' activities. I 've
been able to succesfully log them in one file but this is very cumbersome.
Imagine multiple people trying to analyse the same files etc, this would take a
lot of design and thinking... the best solution would be to have different files
for different users, this way in a glance even someone from our research group
could just open the file and in a glance find what he wants

 I read about NDC and MDC but I don't think they can provide what I want is
there any easy way to log in different files (the names of which could for
instance on te fly be user-0093111.log using the dif userID which is held in the
session.

 thanks... any help will be appreciated as time is flying away

manolis