Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Lloyd Llewellyn <su...@twilight-systems.com> on 2001/07/23 18:31:30 UTC

Servlet web hosting?

Hello -

I'm new to the list, and pretty new to Tomcat (and Java in general).

I'm in the process of moving all my personal MS stuff over to Linux and
Java.  My current web hosting provider is very MS-centric, so I'm
looking for a new one that supports servlets.

Does anyone on this list use such a provider with whom they are
satisfied?

wrt servlet hosting, I'm primarily interested in having the latest and
greatest software available (like the latest beta of Tomcat, e.g.) than
I am with rock-solid stability.

Also, domain hosting, multiple mail accounts (IMAP would be nice), and
the ability to create users with file permissions as well.

Thanks very much for your recommendations.  I know there are a lot of
web hosting service guides out there, but it's hard to get a true feel
of how a service performs without speaking with actual users.

Re: Servlet web hosting?

Posted by Dmitri Colebatch <di...@bigpond.net.au>.
oops... just realised (and checked it this time, sorry - in a hurry
before), http://wantjava.com - slight diff (o:

cheers
dim

Re: Servlet web hosting?

Posted by Tim O'Neil <ti...@xythos.com>.

Re: Ajp13 error

Posted by Andrea <sm...@lisea.com>.
OK, forget it............

I've forget these lines in the server.xml

<Connector className="org.apache.tomcat.service.PoolTcpConnector">
<Parameter name="handler"
value="org.apache.tomcat.service.connector.Ajp13ConnectionHandler"/>
<Parameter name="port" value="8009"/> </Connector>

andrea

RE: Ajp13 error

Posted by John Bazeley <jo...@ecnetwork.co.nz>.
to find what 60 & 61 are, grep for them in your
errno.h file.

This is usually in /usr/include/errno.h or
/usr/include/sys/errno.h

Can't give you much more help as I don't have a BSD machine
handy. Tomcat is running and listening on ajp13 port though,
is it? (see previous posts from earlier today NZST)

--
John

Ajp13 error

Re: Servlet web hosting?

Posted by John Hebert <jo...@vedalabs.com>.
Tim O'Neil wrote:

> At 08:51 PM 7/23/2001, you wrote:

<snip>

> If you want to run a server though make sure you get a
> static ip assignment. It's a real pain to run a server
> with a dynamic ip.

Doesn't have to be. Take a look at http://www.dyndns.org. They provide
free scripts that report your dynamically assigned IP back to
dyndns.org, which then updates its DNS records. I use them and it works
fine. I assume other dynamic IP hosting services work in a similar manner.

Of course, this is not a good idea for a production server that has to
be up 24X7 since there could be a delay when reporting the new IP, but
for development work, it will do the job.

--
John Alex Hebert
john@vedalabs.com

RE: Servlet web hosting?

Posted by Tim O'Neil <ti...@xythos.com>.

RE: Servlet web hosting?

Posted by Greg Trasuk <st...@on.aibn.com>.
Hi all:

	Along the same lines, you might consider getting a DSL or cable modem
setup, then using a dynamic DNS service like http://easydns.com (there are
others, that's just the one I use) to point the domain to your home machine.
The downside is that if your IP address does change (e.g. at reboot), you
can be off the grid for an hour or so at a time because of IP address
caching.  But you did say you were more interested in technology than
stability.  You might also want to read the DSL provider's service agreement
carefully, as some don't want you running a server.

Cheers,

Greg Trasuk, President
http://stratuscom.ca

Re: Servlet web hosting?

Posted by Dmitri Colebatch <di...@bigpond.net.au>.
No personal experience, but I've heard of people talk about
www.iwantjava.com.

cheesr
dim