Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> on 2021/11/14 19:29:40 UTC

[pool] BalancedKeyedObjectPool

Recently I had a the following need, which I have seen on the user list
a few times over the years.

I have a list of resource provider instances that I want to maintain
pools of connections to and I want to load balance connection requests
across the pools.  I can back this using GKOP, but load balancing has to
be done on the client side.  What would be nice would be to have a KOP
that supports borrowing with no key argument and configurable load
balancing strategy (e.g. round-robin, least-loaded, random).

Does this seem like a good addition to [pool]?  Anyone else want to work
on it?

Phil

Re: [pool] BalancedKeyedObjectPool

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

On 11/16/21 6:30 AM, Gary Gregory wrote:
> Hi Phil.
>
> Sounds interesting.
>
> Would the new API KOP.borrowObject() throw if not configured with a
> load balancing policy or would there be a default policy?

I was thinking round-robin would be the default.  If there are no keyed
pools, I would expect to throw NSEE.

Phil

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi Phil.