Posted to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jason Foster <ja...@uwaterloo.ca> on 2002/08/29 03:45:39 UTC

XSmiles, Batik, and BSF

I've been lurking on both of these mailing lists for a little while, as
well as some of the SVG lists, and would like to make a suggestion to both
development teams.  In the immediate future I can't offer more than the
suggestion and discussion, but if things go well I might be able to offer
some warm (student) bodies.

The possibilities afforded by a combination of SVG and XForms is starting
to gain some traction.  The SVG community is investing *way* too much time
putting together interface widgets that accomplish much less than XForms
(except maybe for tree controls).  There is currently no easy way to
emulate, in a cross platform manner, the simple XSmiles demo of a
searchable map (using SVG and a text edit control).  Unfortunately the
XSmiles team is currently not using the Batik framework.

The good news is that according to Mikko Honkala the XSmiles team has
moving to Batik on their TODO list.  The bad news is that according to Juha
Vierinen there are currently a few major stumbling blocks:

> The scripting is one issue (we have our own, and they have their own). I
> guess that this could be solved by letting the two scripting scemes
> co-exist. Another issue is the SVGDOM implementation. It would be nice to
> have only one DOM tree for the rendered document. Otherwise we would have
> to keep two different trees in memory, and keep them synchronized.

I can't speak to the DOM issues, but I would like to suggest that both
teams adopt the BSF as their scripting implementation.  Once both teams has
transitioned to the BSF, merging the scripting support should be (knock on
wood) straightforward.

Based on a recent post to the BSF mailing list, I know that the XSmiles
team is aware of the project.  According to a search of the batik-dev
archives, BSF integration was being discussed a year ago, but has never
materialized.  Given that both projects have looked at BSF, and neither
project has dismissed it as being inappropriate, it looks like a possible
winner.

Moving both projects to BSF offers a number of advantages.  Foremost among
these is interoperability.  An embedded Batik would benefit from being able
to hook seamlessly into the scripting support of its host (say, XSmiles).
BSF support also offers the advantage of not having to worry about updates
to the Rhino and Jython packages.  A final thing that BSF offers, although
not necessarily a practical one, is the ability to script SVG using Ruby,
which would just be cool :)

The primary disadvantage of BSF that I can see, beyond having to replace
the plumbing, is that Batik seems to have done some heavy customizing of
the Rhino interpreter.  Backporting these modifications to BSF might be
problematic, or impossible.  My bet is that the BSF developers would be
willing to adapt these changes to the BSF layer, as opposed to the engine
layer, given that the changes offer support for secure script execution
which is a useful thing.  As to size, bsf-2.2.jar weighs in at 104 KB which,
  while not insignificant, pales in comparison to fop.jar.

The combination of Batik and XSmiles (or SVG and XForms) looks to have a
ton of promise.  If both projects were to move to the BSF this promise
could be realized much sooner and with greater ease.

Thanks for reading this far.

Jason Foster

Re: [developers] Re: XSmiles, Batik, and BSF

Posted by Jason Foster <ja...@uwaterloo.ca>.
> a. Security. To get Rhino to run securely (which we need for a browser),
> we had to do some heavy lifting and I am not sure how (or if) that would
> be done in BSF. May be it is possible, I just do not know how it
> translates.

I've got to believe that these security issues would be of interest to the
BSF development team as well, given that your usage scenario can't be that
uncommon.

> b. License. Last time we looked at it, the license was problematic for
> inclusion in the distribution. I cannot recall what the issue was exactly,
>  but I remember there was a stopper.

The Cocoon project is shipping with the BSF jar and as an Apache project
should be operating under the same constraints as Batik.  So at a guess
either Cocoon has missed a license issue or the license is acceptable.

> However, it would be nice to have ability to run all the script languages
> BSF supports (but note that the Batik architecture already lets you add
> new scripting languages easily).

Fair point.  My concern is making sure that Batik scripting can
interoperate with the scripting of its host.

> I am 100% with you on the combination of SVG and XForms and it would be
> good to combine Batik and XSmile. The DOM issue is a pretty difficult one
> and requires work.

Has this issue come up before?  It strikes me that it would come up
whenever Batik is used in an embedded context.  I haven't looked, but it
makes me wonder about Batik's use cases and whether it is being used more
as a standalone product than an embedded component.

As I watch the W3 develop all of these interesting representation standards
(MathML, SVG, SMIL, XForms) I'm starting to wonder if there has been any
thought given to how to develop a modular approach to implementation?  I
know that XSmiles has developed an extensible architecture, but they have
also implemented most (if not all) of their modules which makes integration
easier.  The real tricks seem to come when merging two scriptable,
DOM-based implementations from different development teams.

Jason

Re: XSmiles, Batik, and BSF

Posted by Vincent Hardy <vi...@sun.com>.
Jason,

Thanks for your suggestions on using BSF. The two major issues that I
can see with integrating BSF are:

a. Security. To get Rhino to run securely (which we need for a browser),
we had to do some heavy lifting and I am not sure how (or if) that would
be done in BSF. May be it is possible, I just do not know how it translates.

b. License. Last time we looked at it, the license was problematic for
inclusion in the distribution. I cannot recall what the issue was
exactly, but I remember there was a stopper.

However, it would be nice to have ability to run all the script
languages BSF supports (but note that the Batik architecture already
lets you add new scripting languages easily).

I am 100% with you on the combination of SVG and XForms and it would be
good to combine Batik and XSmile. The DOM issue is a pretty difficult
one and requires work.

Vincent.